I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fiber direct to your house? I bet you can't wait to get rid of that satellite dish. What kind of upload and download speed to you expect to get on Ethernet?
No, I don't have fiber internet to my house. The satellite is long gone and replaced by a second DSL account. I have four DSL lines coming in and they are load balanced in as well as out. The biggest problem with Florida and electronics is lightening. I have the internet coming into the house ans so to distribute it throughout the 'campus', I opted for fiber which is not a lightening magnet as opposed to copper, which is. Before ScubaBoard, I was a rather successful Network consultant. So while I might live at the end of the digital dirt road, I have an data infrastructure that I can be proud of. :D

In other news, I have avoided a cat-ass-trophy by installing a cat door. We have assisted both Ma~ and Mischka through it into the house, but Mishka was flummoxed at how to get out. :D He'll get it.

@The Chairman I'm curious about what you are useing for fiber link converters.

We've got a family "compound" of 3 adjacent properties up in Maine that we are looking to tie together into one reasonbly "fast" network. PtP radio is not pratical for at least one link due to foliage so it will need to be hard linked. Between distance and isolation/surge protection, fiber is probably the better way to go.

I'll probably run Ubiquity UniFi for routing, switching, & WiFi. I've been running it very sucessfully at home since giving up on consumer multi-point systems that constantly break themselves with forced updates. More work to setup, but reliable and flexible.

In other news, I have avoided a cat-ass-trophy by installing a cat door. We have assisted both Ma~ and Mischka through it into the house, but Mishka was flummoxed at how to get out. :D He'll get it.

We had a cat that wasn't the brightest bulb. My bride got on one side of the cat door and I got on the other. We nudged her (the cat) through a few times, like you did, and she finally figure it out. At least Mishka has Ma~ to handle all the in-service training.

@The Chairman I'm curious about what you are useing for fiber link converters.
Mostly reclaimed equipment... same for a lot of my switches.The Fiber is on G10 tek links.

upload_2020-8-4_9-59-17.png

I've been debating with myself for years: Do I stay in my tropical prison down here in the Keys, or do I make an escape to Cave Country? A week from tomorrow, I will be closing on 10+ acres in O'Brien Fl. The kicker was actually internet access: there is cable there. Or so I'm told. :O There is a home on the site and a largish workshop. Everything has been packed and I'll be moving vehicles and trailers up there this week. I am less than a mile from Ichenetucknee's North Entrance, super close to Little River, close to Peacock and about 40 minutes to Ginnie. I will need the next month to settle down, and then I hope to start diving on a fairly regular schedule. Hit me up if you're in town.

00x0x_ew1jhcscvhm_1200x900-jpg.421338

01717_ghucuoczjtp_1200x900-jpg.421339

00a0a_11oomsruiak_1200x900-jpg.421340

00q0q_lxotkm1duvt_1200x900-jpg.421341

00a0a_ib5szpaf8wb_1200x900-jpg.421342

FWIW, I'm in the market for a tractor with mowing deck, post hole digger, bucket, grader and backhoe. :D
Good morning. Pete. Seems like a good idea. You'll have to retire your lawn mower, and get a "Bush Hog." :rofl3:
Cheers.

No, I don't have fiber internet to my house. The satellite is long gone and replaced by a second DSL account. I have four DSL lines coming in and they are load balanced in as well as out. The biggest problem with Florida and electronics is lightening. I have the internet coming into the house ans so to distribute it throughout the 'campus', I opted for fiber which is not a lightening magnet as opposed to copper, which is. Before ScubaBoard, I was a rather successful Network consultant. So while I might live at the end of the digital dirt road, I have an data infrastructure that I can be proud of. :D

Curious. What’s your overall throughput with 4 DSL balanced lines?

Usually it's around 20, but today it is horrible. 6.6 Mbps down and 0.7 Mbps up. I believe I need to go test a few things to see if it's me or them. It's usually 'them'.
Good morning. Pete. Seems like a good idea. You'll have to retire your lawn mower, and get a "Bush Hog." :rofl3:
Cheers.
I have a finish mower for my tractor and a 60" Hustler Raptor SD zero turn. I prefer the latter in this soft sugar sand and I have to reseal the input shaft on the finish mower before I use it again. Other than the 7 to 8 hours mowing every other week, this has been the easiest lawn maintenance I've had to do.

Usually it's around 20, but today it is horrible. 6.6 Mbps down and 0.7 Mbps up. I believe I need to go test a few things to see if it's me or them. It's usually 'them'.

I have a finish mower for my tractor and a 60" Hustler Raptor SD zero turn. I prefer the latter in this soft sugar sand and I have to reseal the input shaft on the finish mower before I use it again. Other than the 7 to 8 hours mowing every other week, this has been the easiest lawn maintenance I've had to do.

The joys of urban living.

4B5AB7C7-7F08-4BD0-9E56-1326A87D6336.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom