Jacket bcd to wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scafidi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I have about 50+ dives and thinking about going to a wing harness setup from a jacket style(Mares Dragon). Ive been watching and researching. I been looking at the Apex WTX, Scuba Pro X-Tec and the Poseidon One. Can you give me any thoughts on maybe which way to go or not to go. Maybe personal knowledge on any of these outfits? Also thinking of staying with the single tank.
Thanks!!

Those are amongst the most renown brands in the world so I doubt those you can go wrong with them (I would have seen an Halcyon in that group too! :) ). However, These are demanding some solid amount of cash and there might be more affordable options that would suit your need too.

the experts will probably pop up soon.

DiveRite comes to mind quickly as a really good option.

• 41Xb6DwL46L._AC_SY450_.jpg
    This looks terrible.....Yipee Yay Kayay!

Diverite would be a good place to start for a great complete set up that still uses standard bits that are easy and cheap to replace.

I’ve got a DiveRite lightweight SS BP With Hogarthian harness and a HOG steel BP with a HOG standard harness. Ive got a HOG 32lb wing that I can swap between the two (currently mounted to the Dive Rite setup). If I get to where I’m traveling more...I’d like to pick up a ~23lb wing too.

I’ve checked out a bunch of BP/W setups. OMS, Deep 6, Halcyon, DGX, etc. I think all of the mainstream brands are good. The only thing I’d throw out there (mentioned plenty of places too) is to make sure that the wing you go with has integrated tank/cylinder roll control tabs.

It depends a bit on what you want to do later on. The Apex and Scubapro are comfortable (no experience with the Poseidon) and hold up to heavy (recreational) use, but less often recommended for tec diving, and pretty much outlawed if you want to go the DIR route (search the board for more info if needed)...

I recommend staying away from the complex harnesses that have lots of clips, adjustment systems, etc. They look cool, but they are actually not any more functional than simple one-piece webbing systems. They are much more difficult to set up or adjust and end up not being any more comfortable. Oh, and they're a lot more expensive.

To me the advantages of going to a BPW from a jacket is that they are more streamlined and you can fit the size wing to your needs. Some of the fancier harnesses start to emulate jackets and some of the stripped down fancy jackets like the Scuba Pro Hydro emulate BPW's. My advise would be to buy a basic plate and one peice harness then get the smallest wing that suites your needs. You can put D-rings anywhere you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom