Woman crushed by Humpback whales - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, the Nova episode also showed a topological map of the underwater canyon system by Monterrey. It's a unique formation that goes deep rapidly, which allows for upswell of many nutrients, thereby attracting whales feeding on krill and small fish.

This spot was a bit south of Ft Ross in 50 or so feet of water maybe 200' offshore, and as you go seaward it doesn't get much deeper than 70' for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Also it was more than 1/2 mile inside the point of the reef at Ft Ross. Normally the migratory path is a mile or more offshore of the larger points and avoids the shallow inlets along the coast. As for grabbing a snack, the Humbolt current or the seaward side would be more to their liking.

Still an awesome story...

"how've you been?"
"meh, I broke four ribs."
"wow! How'd you do that?"
"I was crushed by whales."
"..."

In my case, I was solo and had to scale a cliff to get out of the water and walk a 1/2 mile or so to the car, then drive to find help since there was no cell service within miles. Did I mention I was apprehensive about the encounter?

This spot was a bit south of Ft Ross in 50 or so feet of water maybe 200' offshore, and as you go seaward it doesn't get much deeper than 70' for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Also it was more than 1/2 mile inside the point of the reef at Ft Ross. Normally the migratory path is a mile or more offshore of the larger points and avoids the shallow inlets along the coast. As for grabbing a snack, the Humbolt current or the seaward side would be more to their liking.

In my case, I was solo and had to scale a cliff to get out of the water and walk a 1/2 mile or so to the car, then drive to find help since there was no cell service within miles. Did I mention I was apprehensive about the encounter?

I usually like to relax after a dive.

But goals now.

Years ago I was in the woods and had a black bear come towards me. Normally they just avoid people. I was like, alright where are the damn cubs? And started looking quickly. Ah cubs to the right, exit stage left. Everyone was happy.

Situational awareness is key.

Similar, not the same. . . A few years ago we were driving through Yellowstone Park and saw a black bear sow and young cub cross the road in front of us. They entered the brush in different spots. At least six cars stopped, people got out to look in the brush for Yogi and Bubu

You really can't fix stupid

I usually like to relax after a dive.

So do I. Normally when I hike out like that, I'll hang out after enjoying the scenery and solitude, perhaps with an adult beverage, before I head back to the vehicle. I'll take a tank, if I'm not Ab diving, it's a matter of pacing more than anything. There are a lot of interesting places along the North Coast of Ca that few see, never mind dive.

Not having been there, that's an easy guess to make, but then even if the lady was staying 15 meters away, those monsters can move quickly so they might have accidentally swam at her.

Could be but unlikely. Having watched JYC in my youth I remember him saying while watching whales bubble feed near crab pots in Alaska that they where so well aware of their surroundings that not one pot line was disturbed.

While filming whales he also noted how a mother had plenty of opportunity to ram, sweep or otherwise deal with the divers but actually seemed to be avoiding contact with the divers while staying between the calf and the divers.

Either they are intelligent, graceful, gentle creatures or they are large clumsy animals thrashing around the sea.

Interesting story. Don’t often hear of whale incidents.

I’ve never dived with them but have a friend who does it as a job. My understanding, limited as it is, is that they’re generally very good with situational awareness and will avoid hurting divers.

But obviously with animals that big there is a risk. Just curious to know why this particular whale acted as it did. Protecting its young seems by far the most likely reason but perhaps there were other factors - Orcas being around you could imagine heightening the mother’s sense of protectiveness.

Its one of those ‘we’ll never know why situations but does teach us to be very careful when diving with large animals, even when otherwise considered benign.

Caveat: if the whale really wanted to hurt her she’d be toast not just some broken ribs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom