Woman crushed by Humpback whales - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver crushed by 2 HUMPBACK WHALES in freak accident causing internal bleeding
A DIVER suffered shocking injuries when she was crushed by TWO humpback whales in a "freak accident" in West Australia.

The 29-year-old was left with fractured ribs and internal bleeding after becoming sandwiched between the giants - which can weigh up to 30 tonnes.

Witnesses said it was a miracle she survived her ordeal during a diving excursion on the Ningaloo Reef, on the North West Cape.

She was flown to Royal Perth Hospital where she is in the State Trauma Unit in a serious but stable condition.

Other divers were also injured during the tour after being bumped by the whales and were treated for cuts and bruises, 7News reported.

Matt Winter, a spokesman for the tour operators Ningaloo Whaleshark Swim, said the incident was now being investigated.

“As far as we can tell it’s a freak accident,” he told NCA NewsWire. “It’s just one of those things that happens with wild animals in the ocean.”

He said the woman became pinned between a young whale and its mother which may have been overprotective.

“It could have been freaked out by other whales in the area … orcas … we just don’t know,” he added.

St John Ambulance WA told NCA NewsWire the woman was a lot of pain when she was rescued from the water.

The tour group had only been a few hundred metres from the shore when the accident happened.

Chartered swimming with humpback whales is currently undergoing a trial in the region, monitored by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA).

Those taking part are warned to stay at least 15 metres away from the marine giants.

The DBCA said in a statement it was "working closely with the industry and the tour operator involved to understand how the incident occurred."

It added that swimming with humpbacks involved "some inherent risk".

The organisation added nearly 10,000 people had swum with the whales since the trial began in 2016, with no previous incidents resulting in serious injuries.

Ningaloo Reef on Australia's Coral Coast is known for its diversity of marine life and is one of the state's best-known tourist spots.

He said the woman became pinned between a young whale and its mother which may have been overprotective.

In the USA getting this close to marine mammals is a crime.

It doesn't appear to be an accident to me. It appears to me that the woman was someplace she shouldn't have been regardless of law.
Getting between wild animals and their young is never a good idea, she paid the price for her mistake, IMO.

I don't know what over protective is for a wild animal and its young, but I won't get between them if I have any choice. On the NorCal coast while free diving for abalone, I found myself in front of a mother and calf headed my way. I got out of their way in a nonchalant non threading manner. It was awesome seeing them that close, but I was scared sh*tless mom might take offense.

I found out later a pod of Orcas were hunting in the area during the Nothern migration of the gray whales. My assumption was that mom was was keeping the baby inshore of her and in the shore noise to hide. That was one of the few places I dive that was deep enough for a whale to come that close to shore.

In the USA getting this close to marine mammals is a crime.

In my case I was there minding my own business, arrest them.

I watched a Nova episode called Whale Detective last night and it sure seems boats and kayakers get pretty close...

The journalist who was the "detective" was in a kayak with a friend that had a humpback breach on them.

There was a whale documentarian that swam down to shoot some mating whales and he got caught in a group of whales. His injuries sound very similar, knocked out and broken ribs.

I don't know what over protective is for a wild animal and its young, but I won't get between them if I have any choice. On the NorCal coast while free diving for abalone, I found myself in front of a mother and calf headed my way. I got out of their way in a nonchalant non threading manner. It was awesome seeing them that close, but I was scared sh*tless mom might take offense.

I found out later a pod of Orcas were hunting in the area during the Nothern migration of the gray whales. My assumption was that mom was was keeping the baby inshore of her and in the shore noise to hide. That was one of the few places I dive that was deep enough for a whale to come that close to shore.

In my case I was there minding my own business, arrest them.

They are allowed to get close to us we aren't allowed to approach, chase or snuggle with them.

What an awesome experience!!

I watched a Nova episode called Whale Detective last night and it sure seems boats and kayakers get pretty close...

The journalist who was the "detective" was in a kayak with a friend that had a humpback breach on them.

There was a whale documentarian that swam down to shoot some mating whales and he got caught in a group of whales. His injuries sound very similar, knocked out and broken ribs.

Permits are issued allowing such activities. My guess is they are very expensive, hard to get and come with a lot of conditions. Of course what takes place outside US limits takes place.

Bob, the Nova episode also showed a topological map of the underwater canyon system by Monterrey. It's a unique formation that goes deep rapidly, which allows for upswell of many nutrients, thereby attracting whales feeding on krill and small fish.

It doesn't appear to be an accident to me. It appears to me that the woman was someplace she shouldn't have been regardless of law.
Not having been there, that's an easy guess to make, but then even if the lady was staying 15 meters away, those monsters can move quickly so they might have accidentally swam at her.

Back
Top Bottom