New to rebreather diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingx

Still breathing
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m ordering a JJ as my first rebreather and will do the training in September or October. Do you guys have any advice on ordering the unit like options/adjustments? I haven’t done any rebreather diving so any advice on rebreather diving is welcome. Thanks in advance.

welcome to the dark side!

what options can you get for the JJ? I didn't think there were really any for it other than the CE version and the international version

welcome to the dark side!

what options can you get for the JJ? I didn't think there were really any for it other than the CE version and the international version
We can only get the international version right? Options I mean like axial scrubber or radial? A second handset? Maybe these questions sound silly hahaha:oops:

I highly suggest you run the unit bone stock until you have some hours on it. new students who show up with gee-gaws and widgets attached to their rebreather with no idea what they are for are required to remove them before training in most cases.

I highly suggest you run the unit bone stock until you have some hours on it. new students who show up with gee-gaws and widgets attached to their rebreather with no idea what they are for are required to remove them before training in most cases.
Understood, but I’m not trying to do that. I won’t even touch the unit before training since it will be shipped directly to my instructor. I’m asking only because it’s my first time to order a rebreather:wink:

We can only get the international version right? Options I mean like axial scrubber or radial? A second handset? Maybe these questions sound silly hahaha:oops:

yeah you don't want the CE version, it has funny bottles and regulators.

The scrubber option is complicated, so are handsets... Thankfully with the DiveCAN they can be swapped around so it should still include the pigtails for it, but I don't think dual handsets is valuable. I'd buy radial scrubber, but there are prons and cons to both. They certainly aren't silly questions to ask, particularly the scrubber which is a fundamental part of the unit. I think there are a few threads on here about axial vs. radial scrubbers that get into it pretty heavy and those will be unit agnostic.

I'd run it stock with the Petrel and HUD. No need for another handset and the only thing I'd change on the electronics is moving to a NERD controller if they had one, but they don't at the moment.

Looking at the website which needs to be updated, but from what's on there I would order the MAV kit as I think it's better than just using the ADV and it gives you offboard plugin capability but you can always add that later, same with the ADV shutoff. I'd probably buy the head cover as well if it isn't egregiously expensive.

Understood, but I’m not trying to do that. I won’t even touch the unit before training since it will be shipped directly to my instructor. I’m asking only because it’s my first time to order a rebreather:wink:

What does your instructor recommend you order? Also out of curiosity, who is it?

@tbone1004
Christian Poirier. He’s the only instructor in Canada. He actually suggested the same thing. He told me to buy a MAV which I guess it’s the MAV kit you said?

Christian Poirier. He’s the only instructor in Canada. He actually suggested the same thing. He told me to buy a MAV which I guess it’s the MAV kit you said?

I don't dive the JJ, so I can only go off of the options from what they've got on the website which is a 2017 price list...

Based on that price list if I were personally ordering it

International edition *that's CHEAP for 3l's*
MAV
Inline Shutoff
Sensor Protector

It doesn't appear that you can order the radial scrubber as an "option", it's an additional item, so I wouldn't bother with that. If it was either or, then that's a different discussion, but since it doesn't appear to be that way, just leave it as stock, and add the MAV, inline shutoff, and sensor protector.

International edition *that's CHEAP for 3l's*
MAV
Inline Shutoff
Sensor Protector
What does Inline Shutoff do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom