Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They ought to list it as an option, verbal promises can leave a lot to be desired.

It isn't a verbal promise, it is something they will do for you in addition to other not listed features. You just have to ask. However, I did tell them that their website, as nice as it is, should be updated to make the "shopping cart" better than what they have now.

It isn't a verbal promise, it is something they will do for you in addition to other not listed features. You just have to ask. However, I did tell them that their website, as nice as it is, should be updated to make the "shopping cart" better than what they have now.
If they are lacking the confidence to offer it in the open, just not the sort of people I would feel confidence in ordering from.

You just have to ask, I did and I was pleasantly surprised that they can do it no problem at all. They even offered me a choice between a full Telescoping torso or "half" telescoping torso. They said that the "half" telescoping torso should be sufficient without any issues and will have the advantage of less material in the suit. VERY accommodating and nice people. O3 really changed my prior impression of UK customer service attitude.

The Bare suit I had had no telescoping at all. The suit was stretchy enough to get it on over my head with a front zip and no telescoping. That is how I would want my neo suit to be.

You should also consider the ultra with 150 undergarments. I really like the neoprene suit. I think crushed neoprene is the best of both worlds. It dries in one night, stretches so it’s more form fitting, cheaper, and warmer. I dive it down to 17 C, mid to low 60s in just a base layer. With the 150 undergarments I think 48 would be a piece of cake.

@drk5036, I assume you received your ultra and have been diving it?

I'm in Taiwan and will likely be diving similar conditions in the winter (water temp down to 18C, so use in say 17C~23C water temp with air temps remaining above 15C), non-tech upto 80min length (single AL80) dives, 95% shore dives.

have a few friends with trilam, but I think the ultra would be good for the short cold season here with just base layer. No need dry gloves or anything like that.. so budget option seems the best bet to me.

Do you ever find it too warm? lets say in 25C water?

As shore diving here is rocky coastline, and soles on the neo boots are rubber and slippery as hell will get compressed socks and just use normal felt soled booties over the top for the grip..

The Bare suit I had had no telescoping at all. The suit was stretchy enough to get it on over my head with a front zip and no telescoping. That is how I would want my neo suit to be.

You have the option telescoping, half telescoping or not, I wanted telescoping and they gave me choices. For compressed neoprene, you can't beat O3's. It is the top choice in the UK and is VERY popular there. You will more people wearing O3 than seaskin, in fact I have never seen seaskin suit there.

I'm in Taiwan and will likely be diving similar conditions in the winter (water temp down to 18C, so use in say 17C~23C water temp with air temps remaining above 15C), non-tech upto 80min length (single AL80) dives, 95% shore dives.
have a few friends with trilam, but I think the ultra would be good for the short cold season here with just base layer. No need dry gloves or anything like that.. so budget option seems the best bet to me.
As shore diving here is rocky coastline, and soles on the neo boots are rubber and slippery as hell will get compressed socks and just use normal felt soled booties over the top for the grip..
Hi
I do a lot of dives within the same situation as yours and I use a compressed DS with socks (cheap Scubapro which fits me perfectly).
I put cheap rubber boots (the one you can find everywhere in TW) over the socks or you can use sport shoes, booties or whatever you want.
Light unders for 16-22C and bare in upper range.
I keep the DS up to around 28C water temperature.
In tropical climates (Philippines, Indonesia, TW in the summer), you just need to be smart about how and when to put the suit on and off but it is fine with a little experience.
If you feel too hot during a dive, you just pull a seal and.make your DS a semi DS:)
If you dive solo as I do often, you can close and open the back zip with your spool and the double ender. Just make sure to practice at home with someone around first and wax, wax and...wax the zip:)
For travelling, it is not bigger than a 5min and with the sock you can dry it llike you would do with a wet suit.
I hope it helps:)

Yup I've got about 10 dives on it now.

The warmest I've done was 21 degrees. I was wearing a thin synthetic top and bottom that I bought from amazon. I still felt fine, even maybe a bit cool. And I'm not a skinny guy! 170 cm 93 kg.

Honestly, its 3 mm compressed neoprene suit. Assuming you didn't put any air into it, and just let it give you some squeeze, at BEST it's going to provide similar protection to a 3 mm wetsuit I suppose, if a bit warmer because there won't be any circulation of the water. I think up to 25C would be fine, just wear a pair of compression leggings and a compression top, and try to get yourself in the water as quick as you put it on. 23 definitely okay. Once the neoprene itself is wet, wearing it on the surface isn't more uncomfortable than a standard neoprene wetsuit, in my opinion.

They say temperature tolerance is a personal thing (I kind of call BS on that and think people here just like to show off). So if you think that you can dive 21 degree water in swim trunks, you'd probably find it too hot. But if you get a bit cool after long dives in 27 degree water in a 3 mil, like me and every person on all the boats I've dove on in southeast asia, i think the seaskin neoprene drysuit is an excellent option!

Really, go for the barebones version. all neoprene seals, and neoprene socks. I bought a 20 dollar pair of knock-off converses from amazon, and wear them over the socks, works great and great traction. Maybe they'll fall apart after 50 dives, but given the price I have no problem with that!

My two cents. If you have any other questions about the customization options, let me know!

You have the option telescoping, half telescoping or not, I wanted telescoping and they gave me choices. For compressed neoprene, you can't beat O3's. It is the top choice in the UK and is VERY popular there. You will more people wearing O3 than seaskin, in fact I have never seen seaskin suit there.

So, you’re saying O3 is like Budweiser beer, and Seaskin is like a good craft-brewed beer...? :wink:

So, you’re saying O3 is like Budweiser beer, and Seaskin is like a good craft-brewed beer...? :wink:
It’s more like O3 is DUI and Seaskin is Seaskin, DUI makes good suite but cost 4x more than the Seaskin. Some people buy gear to fit in others buy gear to dive.

I do a lot of dives within the same situation as yours and I use a compressed DS with socks
Thks

Yup I've got about 10 dives on it now.
[...] Really, go for the barebones version. all neoprene seals, and neoprene socks.

Appreciate the feedback, yup that's pretty much what I was thinking, with reduction of the 20% VAT I think it should come out around USD550 + duty + shipping which seems a steal:
. ultra all black
. inflation valve comfort patch
. compressed neoprene socks
. braces
. no logos
. bag upgrade/change mat

Back
Top Bottom