BP/wings comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can over pad and over stuff the backplate to the same degree as a jacket b/c but one you figure having all the cr*p along with the extra rad to sink isn’t necessary you can remove it, unlike the jacket. Damage some part of the rig, replace just that part and it’s available from multiple sources, unlike the jacket.

yep, break a stitched in buckle on a jacket, what do you do?

I think @MaxBottomtime is absolute king here of the shore diving hike.
What I do up here pales in comparison of what they do in SoCal. I just remember that hike down the cliff at Flat Rock at midnight for the lobster opener and then seeing in daylight from the ocean off a boat the same day what we climbed down! Holy crap!
We all had BP/W, not a jacket in sight.
Flat Rock.jpg

Yes, that’s it! The Razorback ridge down to the point. I looks a lot more ominous looking up from the water.
That was known as a “trust me” climb. Good thing I had new booties with good tread and it was midnight so I couldn’t see hundreds of feet straight down to the water. One misstep in full gear and it would give new meaning to the term “giant stride”.

I had a weightbelt slip down to my ankles one night right at the narrowest portion of the trail. I had to make a slow motion squat in full gear without leaning to one side or the other.
Did Jon tell you about the tires getting slashed on several of the cars one night during lobster season? I think his and mine were the only two unscathed.

I have been researching and saving for 2 years to buy a BP/wings setup.
Went to my LDS this AM to buy one and the owner talked me out of it. Said they were uncomfortable. his comment was 'look at it. It would be like sleeping on a steel pillow'.
Should I be worried about this? I usually dive with a 3 or 5 ML wetsuit so I would have some padding but I also often do beach dives that require a long walk prior to entering the water. Any help would be appreciated.

I like both BC (scubapro classic-which I did dive in for 22 years) and BP/W.
When I started diving the BP/W I had the same fear @Scuba1821. But it turned out to be not an issue. I've been lucky to dive with a t-shirt and show my muscles to the fish.:( (I wish). It was NOT uncomfortable. The plate and hardware are NOT digging into your skin. I find my trim and buoyancy much much easier to manage. With correct selection of plate, you can minimize carrying excess weight on the belt/pocket thus optimizing your gear.

There are many reasons I don't planning on diving with a BC any longer but that is irrelevant to the OP question.

My oldest daughter and I have dove jacket and BPW, and our preference is BPW by a long shot. My youngest daughter dives BPW because that was the way she was trained - I do not see her moving to a jacket. My wife has dove both and prefers the jacket.

Just dive in what you are most comfortable.

I had a weightbelt slip down to my ankles one night right at the narrowest portion of the trail. I had to make a slow motion squat in full gear without leaning to one side or the other.
Did Jon tell you about the tires getting slashed on several of the cars one night during lobster season? I think his and mine were the only two unscathed.
Yeah, I was there!
The car right in front of Jon’s Toyota P/U is where the slashing started.
Come to think of it, it was Maciek who was there and somebody else, I can’t remember, could have been Ross.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom