Dive Report: Olympic Wreck and Oil Rigs, Sunday 8-2-20.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So why do I endure the countless marginal dive days that I do, and still keep diving? Because you have to keep swinging the bat to occasionally strike those big hits. Yesterday we connected.
Olympic wreck: viz below 75' was...maybe the whole wreck? Coming down the anchor chain I could see the entire bow section tilted over on the bottom, telegraphing clearly that this is an actual shipwreck.
Oil rigs; Eureka was "cathedral like" below 75'. Looking down I could see the legs below me 100'-150', maybe more, into the abyss.
The murk layer is still present, it's just shifting all over the place. On Ellen it was 0-20' blue, 21'-75' murk, 76'-infinity clear, blue 51F water.
Just this past Tues., viz on the wreck was 5'-10', and the rigs didn't open up until below 95' and then it was dark.
I don't know how long this window will last, maybe while the winds remain off shore in the afternoons.
J. Reeb

Attachments

• G0031202.JPG
    G0031202.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 96
Glad you had some good viz.; see any particularly interesting wildlife down there? I've never dove an oil rig platform; the ones you dove, did they have substantial current?

Richard.

So why do I endure the countless marginal dive days that I do, and still keep diving? Because you have to keep swinging the bat to occasionally strike those big hits. Yesterday we connected.
Olympic wreck: viz below 75' was...maybe the whole wreck? Coming down the anchor chain I could see the entire bow section tilted over on the bottom, telegraphing clearly that this is an actual shipwreck.
Oil rigs; Eureka was "cathedral like" below 75'. Looking down I could see the legs below me 100'-150', maybe more, into the abyss.
The murk layer is still present, it's just shifting all over the place. On Ellen it was 0-20' blue, 21'-75' murk, 76'-infinity clear, blue 51F water.
Just this past Tues., viz on the wreck was 5'-10', and the rigs didn't open up until below 95' and then it was dark.
I don't know how long this window will last, maybe while the winds remain off shore in the afternoons.
J. Reeb
Outstanding- Good for you!

Glad you had some good viz.; see any particularly interesting wildlife down there? I've never dove an oil rig platform; the ones you dove, did they have substantial current?

Richard.
Below 55' the rig superstructure is plastered with strawberry anemones, scallops, starfish etc. The scallops grow three deep and are a popular harvest option for local divers. The limit is (10) per diver per day. The rigs host a variety of fish life, which is constantly changing; Sheephead, Calico Bass, Blacksmiths. Sometime pelagics come through, or bait fish balls. Sealions are common also. If you ever visit scocal to dive, a two tank dive on the rigs is well worth it.

With good viz it can be like swimming in an aquarium.

We had 35 feet+ vis at Biodome yesterday and a dark, green 8 feet today at a nearby reef. Still, it's good to get in the water.
Yes, it's all over the place. I almost sent you a note on Sat. as the OC crew had 20-30' on Bio, and GS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom