Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rddvet...im not going to say I agree or disagree with your comments, what I am going to say is that it does not sound like your comments are coming from someone who has been in an instructor type role. I agree if something is seen as being incorrect...it should be pointed out, but there is a term called "tact" in how you express these opinions. Its not a matter of saying it in a way because , but more as expressing these opinions in a way that don't discourage the recipient from continuing to better him\herself and enjoy the sport.

We all just want to have fun, but if the only corrective criticism ...then I have to agree...your coming off as an a-hole and are doing more damage then good.

I still feel your comments are still very vague as we are talking about several photos and 4 different people that are not going to dial the gear in all the same way.

As I mentioned in my initial comment to you...please feel free to private message me so that this thread does not run off the rails any more than it already has...as this was not my intention. Private message me so we can discuss items in further detail if you wish to be more of a mentor on this subject to myself or others. We can dissect a particular photo and I can give you my impression of what I see or what you see and we can fix issues from there. I will also be starting a new thread called "FTM - Fix My Trim" to do the same and try to pull this thread back to speaking about the K2 in general and not on bad trim\skills\instruction.

Something else to everyone...If you wish to discuss how the XDeep setup is far superior to the K2 in every way except if you are running a Sidewinder...then I think that should probably go into a separate thread as well, but these are just my opinions.

Sorry if you don't like my lack of tact. You posted photos of yourself diving on the internet and don't look good. This is after an instructor worked with you. Unfortunately people like to pussyfoot around and not be direct. Based on those photos you got hoodwinked by a bad instructor. I'd want someone to be direct and tell me the truth. If that makes me an a-hole in your eyes so be it. We're all adults. Nobody's calling you a stroke or a bad diver and any other sort of internet rudeness. I gave direct commentary and gave some minor suggestions. Good on you for starting a thread and wanting to be better. I'd be happy to give constructive criticism as nicely as I can, but when people post photos of stuff like this on the internet plan on needing thick skin.

I honestly would have a serious talk with my instructor about his quality of teaching if this is how he let you guys out of class. He may be a nice or a great instructor in other areas of diving, but what we're seeing isn't up to snuff. The good sidemount instructors' students usually show better tank trimming than that in their first 5 minutes in the water.

And why is it everyone’s goal to Superman tanks?
I dont think this is everyones goal. This is a required skill to learn for certification and I posted the pictures of the superman skill to give a better view of how the K2's wing hugs around the torso without the tanks blocking the view.

I dont think this is everyones goal. This is a required skill to learn for certification and I posted the pictures of the superman skill to give a better view of how the K2's wing hugs around the torso without the tanks blocking the view.

Sorry, that was a general commentary about something that annoys me. You look around fb and all anyone posts of their sm classes is them supermanning their tanks. It's like a ridiculous right of passage. I can understand teaching it in an overhead sm class where at some point the student may need to take a tank off. But in an ow sm class it makes no sense. It's become the "look at me I dive sm" photo.

Sorry, that was a general commentary about something that annoys me. You look around fb and all anyone posts of their sm classes is them supermanning their tanks. It's like a ridiculous right of passage. I can understand teaching it in an overhead sm class where at some point the student may need to take a tank off. But in an ow sm class it makes no sense. It's become the "look at me I dive sm" photo.

At least from the people I took sidemount classes from the people I trained with (Cave Adventurers and Reggie/Harry) supermanning the tanks isn't in the entry level overhead/tech sidemount. And would probably be something discussed in advanced sidemount. That being said, supermanning steel tanks doesn't seem like fun.

So today I did my second dive with my K2.
I'm still adjusting the tanks so no commenting on it yet (grantctobin).
I realised that my right attachment point was too low,
the right tank over rotated a bit, the left not enough and the bungee on both could be a bit tighter.

View attachment 602124
View attachment 602125 View attachment 602129 View attachment 602131

1) Move the lower attachment up the tank about 4cm (towards the valve)
2) Clock the lower attachment directly opposite the valve knob (at least to start)
3) Shorten the neck bungie 4-5cm (this is the biggest problem right now IMO)
4) Move the attachment on the harness as close to your spine as possible

At least from the people I took sidemount classes from the people I trained with (Cave Adventurers and Reggie/Harry) supermanning the tanks isn't in the entry level overhead/tech sidemount. And would probably be something discussed in advanced sidemount. That being said, supermanning steel tanks doesn't seem like fun.
It is and its a ridiculous artifact of everyone wanting to be like Steve Bogarts.

It is and its a ridiculous artifact of everyone wanting to be like Steve Bogarts.

His videos come up on my Youtube feed pretty often, I want to be like Steve. But I still need a lot more experience first.

His videos come up on my Youtube feed pretty often, I want to be like Steve. But I still need a lot more experience first.
Well since he had to quit diving for medical reasons I will pass on that. And I don't dive SM AL80s or dive a razor in a wetsuit in 77F water so there's that too.

Well since he had to quit diving for medical reasons I will pass on that. And I don't dive SM AL80s or dive a razor in a wetsuit in 77F water so there's that too.

Well I said "like" not exactly like. :D

But I do love his videos, those are some beautiful caves. And I want to go back soon.

1) Move the lower attachment up the tank about 4cm (towards the valve)
2) Clock the lower attachment directly opposite the valve knob (at least to start)
3) Shorten the neck bungie 4-5cm (this is the biggest problem right now IMO)
4) Move the attachment on the harness as close to your spine as possible
1. yes I saw that as well. It will be done.
2. Already at that position. I'm fine tuning it now.
3. Yes for sure! I did that this morning.
4. Already as far back as they go.

Thanx!!!
I can't wait to get in the water and see more improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom