Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should also consider the ultra with 150 undergarments. I really like the neoprene suit. I think crushed neoprene is the best of both worlds. It dries in one night, stretches so it’s more form fitting, cheaper, and warmer. I dive it down to 17 C, mid to low 60s in just a base layer. With the 150 undergarments I think 48 would be a piece of cake.

Hmm I hadn't really considered the neoprene suit, I assumed the dry time would be longer than a single overnight drying. I'll take it under consideration, I must confess a preference for front zip though =/

Hmm I hadn't really considered the neoprene suit, I assumed the dry time would be longer than a single overnight drying. I'll take it under consideration, I must confess a preference for front zip though =/
Of course you should do whatever works for you, but I think a lot of people here greatly overlook neoprene drysuits. They also have some benefits when I diving, as the dive a lot more like a wetsuit. Also, dispatch time from seaskin is about half that of the nova. My dispatch time was 6 weeks.

I also have neoprene neck and wrist seals, and they’re great. Total cost of my suit was about 600 bucks. I do wish I got the trilobite on the left arm tho.

Of course you should do whatever works for you, but I think a lot of people here greatly overlook neoprene drysuits. They also have some benefits when I diving, as the dive a lot more like a wetsuit. Also, dispatch time from seaskin is about half that of the nova. My dispatch time was 6 weeks.

I also have neoprene neck and wrist seals, and they’re great. Total cost of my suit was about 600 bucks. I do wish I got the trilobite on the left arm tho.

At least how I'm looking at configuring both suits the price is close enough to not matter, so just have to consider it. I do like the idea of the neoprene suit's inherent warmth though.

So I'm eyeing a Seaskin, for those that got the Trilobite attachments, do they interfere with dive computer straps at all?

Also what temperatures are people diving the 150 and 250 undergarments in? I didn't see a recommended temp spec on the site. La Jolla Canyon had some divers reporting 48 degrees (inside recreational depths) so thinking 250?

I got the Trilobyte attachments on both arms of my Ultra. The one on my left arm does kind of get in the way of my Predator controller for my CCR. If I were doing it again, I would probably only get one on the right arm, or none at all. A lot of people put their Trilobyte on the straps of the Predator/Petrel/Perdix itself and, in hindsight, that is probably better.

I dived my Nova (yes, my trilam) in Lake Erie last Fall. 5 dives over 2 days. Bottom temps were 43-44. I wore my 250 undersuit (with Seaskin Tech Base layer under it) the first day. I was so warm that on the 2nd day, I wore my 150 and was fine. But, that's me. Your cold tolerance could be completely different. Also, that was with a silicone neck seal. I now have a replaceable neoprene neck seal on my Nova and it makes the suit even warmer (not huge at all, but noticeable).

If I only had 1 drysuit, it would be the Nova. I love the Ultra. But, I think the Nova is more versatile for travel. It does dry faster. To me, it's better for colder water, because it's inherently a little more baggy and I can fit thicker undies under it. And it's better if the water and air temps are both warm (i.e. I'm just diving dry for redundant buoyancy). Also, I have dry glove rings on the Nova. On my Ultra, I got it with neoprene seals for wrist and neck, so no dry gloves. I only use the Nova in water temps were wet gloves are sufficient. Having neoprene seals all around on the Nova is just another reason I really like it. The neck is warm, and the wrists are just like wearing a wetsuit. No bulk there to get in the way if I'm trying to reach my hand into something.

Also, if I only had 1 drysuit, I would want it to be one with a front zip. That is the only thing I DON'T like about the Nova. That big, stupid metal zipper across the back. I had a Bare XCS2 Tech compressed neoprene drysuit in the past. It has a diagonal, plastic front zipper (just like my Seaskin Nova does). The zipper on that was great and I wish my Ultra had the same setup. But, I begged Seaskin and they just won't do a front zip on a neoprene suit.

Link? I don’t see that option except trilam.

You just have to ask, I did and I was pleasantly surprised that they can do it no problem at all. They even offered me a choice between a full Telescoping torso or "half" telescoping torso. They said that the "half" telescoping torso should be sufficient without any issues and will have the advantage of less material in the suit. VERY accommodating and nice people. O3 really changed my prior impression of UK customer service attitude.

You just have to ask, I did and I was pleasantly surprised that they can do it no problem at all. They even offered me a choice between a full Telescoping torso or "half" telescoping torso. They said that the "half" telescoping torso should be sufficient without any issues and will have the advantage of less material in the suit. VERY accommodating and nice people. O3 really changed my prior impression of UK customer service attitude.
They ought to list it as an option, verbal promises can leave a lot to be desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom