Thinning aquaseal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What can you use to thin down aquaseal besides cotol that they give you in the packets. I'm going over my seams in my dry suit and all places around here have aqua seal but do not have the cotol go with it. Is there something else that I could use in place of the cotol that's easily found at Lowe's or Sherwin Williams?

Use it outside if you can.....see my avatar.

Thanks...I called sherwin Williams and they have a quart of it. Going to stop after work today and get it and finish up my seams. Yeah I used the Cotol last night in my basement and my basement still smells like it this morning.

Go to REI, EMS or some other camping/outdoor gear store to see if they have a smaller quantity container of it....a quart of Cotol will probably last you a long time.

-Z

Yeah I used the Cotol last night in my basement and my basement still smells like it this morning.

HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP?

Use it outside if you can.....see my avatar.

Admittedly, my chemistry is a little rusty, but I seem to recall that toluene is a derivative of benzene and it's evil stuff. If you're doing a big job like your entire suit, you should probably we wearing a proper respirator, especially if you're using it inside.

Admittedly, my chemistry is a little rusty, but I seem to recall that toluene is a derivative of benzene and it's evil stuff. If you're doing a big job like your entire suit, you should probably we wearing a proper respirator, especially if you're using it inside.

Yes, it is really nasty....get a respirator @ Sherwin Williams or at least stay up-wind of the-brain-eating nastiness. Its a favorite of brain-dead huffers everywhere... for a reason.

Acetone works just as well for thinning aquaseal and is more widely available. I’ve heard it’s less toxic too. It also speeds up the drying time - same as Cotol/toluene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom