Baby Shampoo Ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drives my eyes crazy that's why I stuck with my spit.

Other drops I've tried also drove my eyes to tears so again spit.

I haven't tried S2S

I was on a boat once. Someone spat into their mask, rubbed it around then used the freshwater mask bucket to rinse it. Delightful. :(

We need more people on here with @Jayfarmlaw ’s sense of humor.

Even the gentlest baby shampoos contain parabens, sulfates, and surfactants that can be very toxic to aquatic life.

@Stream2Sea

Are you saying your product does not contain any surfactants? If so, how does it work? Or are you saying the surfactants that your product uses are not toxic to aquatic life?

Is there any research that shows baby shampoo is harmful to aquatic life? Can you provide a link?

TIA

So the baby shampoo in a sparky bottle (1 part shampoo 4 parts water) worked flawlessly. 1 spray in each lenses, rinse and splash.
No fog at all.

So the baby shampoo in a sparky bottle (1 part shampoo 4 parts water) worked flawlessly. 1 spray in each lenses, rinse and splash.
No fog at all.
Same experience here - I use approximately 1 part shampoo to 3 parts water in a spray bottle as well - works like a carm everytime!

Wonder if this has the same negative effects on the reefs as does suntan lotions? We bought reef approved lotions for our upcoming CZM trip...
Yeah the USFDA is in the process of "reviewing" chemical based sunscreens. We all might be switching to mineral based soon which apparently is better for the oceans and the people. We'll see.

But since it is now not ok to spit in your mask, well baby shampoo it is.
I suppose that means spitting in your buddy's mask isn't cool either, eh?

We just started using some "Camp Suds" in a very dilute solution. Works fine as a defog, and it's what we had, but it stings in our eyes, so I guess we'll spring for some BS.

@Stream2Sea

Are you saying your product does not contain any surfactants? If so, how does it work? Or are you saying the surfactants that your product uses are not toxic to aquatic life?

Is there any research that shows baby shampoo is harmful to aquatic life? Can you provide a link?

TIA
Hi Couv - Thanks for asking! Not saying that all surfactants are harmful, but many are. Sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, Lauramide DEA, Cocamide DEA are all commonly used and are classified as aquatic toxins. Here's a couple of links, including one to the safety testing of our shampoo if you'd like to read more. Our defog is a thicker version of our shampoo without the fragrance and conditioning ingredients, by the way. https://www.nature.com/articles/srep10107
ICSC 0502 - SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE
Biodegradable Sunscreens & Products Testing - Stream2Sea.com

10%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom