Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the ruins in Tulum and Coba open?

Tulum and Xel-ha weren't open as of two weeks ago. And I believe I was told that all ruin sites were closed but I can't confirm.

For all that have traveled to Cancun and Cozumel anything special required for entry into Mexico ie. covid test or anything like that. I am heading there in sept

For all that have traveled to Cancun and Cozumel anything special required for entry into Mexico ie. covid test or anything like that. I am heading there in sept

The answer to your question has generally been answered before in various posts , but I am not surprised it didn’t stand out in our 50 page threads!

1). No test needed to go to Mexico. Note some of the rules/closures you see in press are focused more on land borders than air travel (and I gather there is a lot more travel across US/MX land borders than you would expect anyway )
2). They will probably give you a Health form to fill out on arrival at airport in Mexico that says where you came from , where you are staying , confirms you don’t have any symptoms etc. Takes 2 or 3 minutes to fill out
3). They are probably still using a thermal camera just after customs kiosks (it is in the distance , you may not even notice it). If you have a fever, you may have an issue. Never heard of anyone getting pulled aside , but I think they are trying to make sure don’t enter the country while already sick. Obviously don’t get on a plane with a fever.
4). Obviously be aware of any quarantine rules in whatever state/country you are from so you are prepared for your return. I think Canada requiring a 2 week quarantine upon return. NY was also doing something last I heard

5). You might want to check again right before you travel in case something changes. If you are flying into Cancun and taking the ferry check the schedules before you come down. They are not running hourly at this time (have added more trips recently ). Note also that Cozumel had serious curfews and lockdowns in the early part of the pandemic. It still has a curfew starting at 10pm and restaurants and dive shops are still at reduced capacity. I believe the curfew was actually 5pm back in May. I don’t really expect them to shut everything down again since they desperately need tourist dollars, but I kind of wish they would roll the curfew back to 9 just as signal that people need still need to pay attention

One last thing —-Please note that actual Covid cases in Mexico are way higher than official data. At least part of this is due to fact Mexico is testing less than almost any country with similar economic resources (its positivity rates are sky high because they only test sick people ). There are also other good reasons to be skeptical of official data , but I will not go into that. I am not trying to say don’t come to Cozumel, I am just saying that you need to stay safe and follow the health protocols when you are in Cozumel. Cozumelenos will greatly appreciate any tourism dollars you bring :)

This has been posted before , but not surprised it didn’t stand out in our 50 page threads!

1). No test needed to go to Mexico. Note some of the rules/closures you see in press are focused more on land borders than air travel (and I gather there is a lot more travel across US/MX land borders than you would expect anyway )
2). They will probably give you a Health form to fill out on arrival at airport in Mexico that says where you came from , where you are staying , confirms you don’t have any symptoms etc. Takes 2 or 3 minutes to fill out
3). They are probably still using a thermal camera just after customs kiosks (it is in the distance , you may not even notice it). If you have a fever, you may have an issue. Never heard of anyone getting pulled aside , but I think they are trying to make sure don’t enter the country while already sick. Obviously don’t get on a plane with a fever.
4). Obviously be aware of any quarantine rules in whatever state/country you are from so you are prepared for your return. I think Canada requiring a 2 week quarantine upon return. NY was also doing something last I heard

5). You might want to check again right before you travel in case something changes. If you are flying into Cancun and taking the ferry check the schedules before you come down. They are not running hourly at this time (have added more trips recently ). Note also that Cozumel had serious curfews and lockdowns in the early part of the pandemic. It still has a curfew starting at 10pm and restaurants and dive shops are still at reduced capacity. I believe the curfew was actually 5pm back in May. I don’t really expect them to shut everything down again since they desperately need tourist dollars, but I kind of wish they would roll the curfew back to 9 just as signal that people need still need to pay attention

One last thing —-Please note that actual Covid cases in Mexico are way higher than official data. At least part of this is due to fact Mexico is testing less than almost any country with similar economic resources (its positivity rates are sky high because they only test sick people ). There are also other good reasons to be skeptical of official data , but I will not go into that. I am not trying to say don’t come to Cozumel, I am just saying that you need to stay safe and follow the health protocols when you are in Cozumel. Cozumelenos will greatly appreciate any tourism dollars you bring :)

Ok thats good info to know I will always do what i have to to stay safe and I realize that the numbers are probably higher but for the most part we are going to be at the condo or diving so exposure should be limited that way.

The Covid and FFM forms are available on line and you complete them before you go...

The Covid and FFM forms are available on line and you complete them before you go...
I had the urls for three forms saved. The FFM site is fine, and the ID data site is as well, but the Questionnaire to identify risk factors in travelers site is being blocked as a threat.

We landed in Cancun on July 11th, no health forms were required but we did go through a temperature check. We had to fill out the form leaving Cancun.

We've been here for a week now.

The locals are wearing masks and some even wear face shields. Young Americans (20-30 year olds) are not wearing masks at all. When I challenge them, they all say "I don't need to wear a mask." I don't let unmasked people get on the elevator with me.

The desperation of people downtown is heart breaking. Yesterday afternoon on the main street, we were the only tourists as far as eye could see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom