Has anyone tried this defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does spit not work for some people..?
I've never had a problem with fog and only relied on spitting in the mask so far.

Spit has worked the best for me, but with new mandates, I'm following this thread. Most boats have had some shampoo, which work to varying degrees. When it doesn't, I leak a little bit of water into the mask and tilt my head down and up whenever I need a "windshield wipe".

For the "I don't like communal mask buckets" crew, I carry a cup in my boat bag and dip water from the camera bin to rinse my mask. Also, I like the REEF reef safe defog just fine. We use diluted baby shampoo at work and that is also fine. I prefer the reef safe for open water simply to be a little more reef friendly.

I had to laugh at the The Chairman's rebreather comment. I barely used defog at all before diving rebreathers. I would just keep a little water in my mask to slosh around and clear as needed. Once I became a rebreather diver, I became protective of even the smallest "waste" of gas, say like for mask clearing.

Once I became a rebreather diver, I became protective of even the smallest "waste" of gas, say like for mask clearing.
In the open ocean it just takes a bit of dil. But if you're in Peacock, which is mostly shallow with a lot of ups n downs, you learn to time the mask clear for when you want to descend a bit. It changes the tempo of the dance a bit.

I have this brand's reef safe sunscreen I picked up from a dive shop in Thailand. The sunscreen comes out very white and after rubbing in, gives my skin a purple(?) tint, like a clear coat on a car.
A safe mineral sunscreen can leave a white sheen, which is much more noticeable if you have very dark skin - sometimes leaving a blue-ish/purple-ish sheen. We do have a tinted formula that blends in with many skin tones, and we are working on a formula for darker skin. The key with ours is applying pea-sized amounts in small sections. Here's a short video with some helpful tips on applying: Thank you for trying us out!

A safe mineral sunscreen can leave a white sheen, which is much more noticeable if you have very dark skin - sometimes leaving a blue-ish/purple-ish sheen. We do have a tinted formula that blends in with many skin tones, and we are working on a formula for darker skin. The key with ours is applying pea-sized amounts in small sections. Here's a short video with some helpful tips on applying: Thank you for trying us out!

Wow, I was definitely over applying! I applied it like traditional sunscreen, with big goops that I spread out. Thanks for the tutorial.

Wow, I was definitely over applying! I applied it like traditional sunscreen, with big goops that I spread out. Thanks for the tutorial.
Lol - most everyone over applies, it's what you gotta do with the chemical ones as they work by soaking into the fatty tissue layers of the skin. Ours is a physical sunblock and sits on top of the skin, which is why you need such a small amount. It reflects the sun's UV rays - which sounds a whole lot better to me than absorbing them! That's a heck of a lot of energy to absorb and your body must work to disperse. Free radicals anyone?! :eek: It's just a short learning curve in getting used to applying a mineral sunscreen. Thanks so much for helping protect our reefs divinh!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom