Spectrum FFM LP 2nd stage hose preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F_Raven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As the title states 2nd stage hose length preference on a FFM, any FFM to be honest. Im just curious if people shorten their 2nd stage hose with FFM's. Thinking about going half the length of my standard apeks XL4 hose length.

As the title states 2nd stage hose length preference on a FFM, any FFM to be honest. Im just curious if people shorten their 2nd stage hose with FFM's. Thinking about going half the length of my standard apeks XL4 hose length.

My full face masks all have hoses, just short of a meter in length (36"); and I never had a reason or desire to shorten any of them . . .

it all depends on your routing. I use a setup very similar to @Lake Hickory Scuba since mine needs to have dual inputs. I use a Poseidon Atmosphere and use an omniswivel on there that takes care of hose adapter/swivel/OPV duty for me, and the block is on my left shoulder. For the university owned masks that I use, we have fairly short hoses on them, I think about 28" or so, but if you used braided and/or a swivel you could go shorter.

I dive a Guardian for team work and run a 39" octo hose under my arm to a 90 degree fitting on the mask. I find it very comfortable with no restriction looking left.

Jay

I dive the Ocean Reef ffm with a 40" MiFlex routed under my right arm and hard 90 fitting. I previously used a ball swivel but following a bailout last summer due to a blown o-ring in that swivel, I switched to a hard 90 and it works, but I'm going to be switching to a 110 just to give me a little more kick out away from the mask and surface air valve. When I first started diving ffm I ran the normal hose that it came with, but I found that it created the possibility of getting snagged so I changed to a longer hose that I could keep tucked closer to my body and a little more streamlined. It's worked so far.

I recently started diving with a Spectrum/Kraken setup. It seems to be working just fine and definitely looks really cool. No issue to report so far, it's comfortable. Only downside is the increase air consumption with a FFM. I need more practice but dives seem like they will always be a bit shorter using a FFM...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom