Dive Report: Yukon Artificial Reef, San Diego CA 7-30-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

After suffering poor visibility on the Yukon a few weeks ago we decided a return visit was in order. Under overcast skies and bouncy swells we dropped back down through the green murk to find nearly bluebird conditions on the wreck, viz was 50' or better. With glee we set to work on our photography objectives and as we wrapped them up its as if Mr. Freeze arrived. I gave my computer a quick glance; ouch! 51F. No wonder! Although I was diving wet, I had my Big Sur ensemble on (two piece 7mil with Lava Core undersuit) but the slightly older suit was no match for Mr. Freeze. We truly suffered until we got back up into the murk and the near balmy 54F layer. We made a second dive which was even better than the first, especially when we made it out to the end of the radio mast where a school of Blacksmith swirled about while a cadre of Calico Bass took a siesta on the structure itself (see video clip).

After suffering poor visibility on the Yukon a few weeks ago we decided a return visit was in order. Under overcast skies and bouncy swells we dropped back down through the green murk to find nearly bluebird conditions on the wreck, viz was 50' or better. With glee we set to work on our photography objectives and as we wrapped them up its as if Mr. Freeze arrived. I gave my computer a quick glance; ouch! 51F. No wonder! Although I was diving wet, I had my Big Sur ensemble on (two piece 7mil with Lava Core undersuit) but the slightly older suit was no match for Mr. Freeze. We truly suffered until we got back up into the murk and the near balmy 54F layer. We made a second dive which was even better than the first, especially when we made it out to the end of the radio mast where a school of Blacksmith swirled about while a cadre of Calico Bass took a siesta on the structure itself (see video clip).
Really good viz! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice! I haven't dove the Yukon in years. Glad to see all the life on it. I dove it the first time just after it was sunk and the Navy cleared it. Went back many times over the following years. Amazing how it transformed from bare metal to an oasis. Gotta trailer my boat an hour south of me and head out to Wreck-Alley again.

As a periodic visitor to San Diego, I have only 13 dives on the beautiful Yukon. I have several very nice insde dives from the dolphin cutouts on the bow all the way to stern cutouts. It is a gorgeous dive, I've heard the Plumose anemones have taken a hit, I hope they are back.

Very cool! I'm going to be diving there for the first time this weekend; fingers crossed we get similarly good viz!

.. nearly bluebird conditions....
Beautiful colors and stunning viz on that wreck. Looks like you lucked out with easy current too. Thanks for making & posting the video !!

Back
Top Bottom