Gradient Factors - What is Everyone Using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point. For the same dives in salt water I get 22 min for a GFHi of 90, 27 min for a GFHi of 99. In fresh water I get 24 and 29 minutes respectively.
The salt/fresh difference is just due to ambient pressure at depth? @scubadada What kind of water is your Teric diving in?

The salt/fresh difference is just due to ambient pressure at depth? @scubadada What kind of water is your Teric diving in?
My Teric is set on salt water.

For a dive to 80 feet on air, my Oceanic computer gives a NDL of 30 minutes running DSAT and 26 minutes running PZ+. These would correspond roughly to a GF high of 100 and 94-95. I don't know if these times include descent or are time at depth. Oceanic has no deco planner for DSAT or PZ+.

Using the NDL planner on my Teric, I get 29 min for GF high of 99, 24 min for 90, 19 min for 80, 15 min for 70, and 12 min for 60. Again, I don't know if the NDLs include the 1 1/3 min descent time or not. Using the deco planner, dives at a GF high of 99 and 90 are no stop with a run time of 23 min, including the 2 2/3 min ascent. At a GF of 80, there is a 1 min stop at 10 ft, including the ascent, it is called a total deco time of 4 min. For GF of 70, it is a 3 min stop, total deco 6 min and for a GF of 60, it is a 6 min stop, total deco 9 min.

Clearly, the above represents clean first dives only and does not reflect handling of repetitive dives. Seems like my Teric results differ from those of @EFX by just a little.

For my diving, small differeces like this are inconsequential. Ninety five percent of my dives are no stop, often fairly aggressive. The remainder are light, back gas deco, usually <10 min. I dive my Oceanic VT3 on DSAT and my Teric on 80/95. They run off the same transmitter. I dive no stop based on the more conservative of two or clear the deco on one or both. I used to do a 3-5 min safety stop or pad my deco by the same amount. Now, I follow my SurfGF and make my final ascent no higher than the mid-80s, often much lower.

I have an NDL planner On my VT3, just no deco planner. Your OC1 has a deco planner? Of course, my Teric has both.
No, the OC1 is an NDL planner. I thought the thread was about NDL dives.

No, the OC1 is an NDL planner. I thought the thread was about NDL dives.
The post under discussion, by @EFX included both no stop and deco dives Gradient Factors - What is Everyone Using?

I think nearly all computers, even the most basic, have NDL planners. I can think of at least one, that does not. On the other hand, it has never made sense to me that computers supporting multiple gases, do not have a deco planner. For example, my Oceanic VT3 supports 3 gases. What are you going to do with multiple gases if is not accelerated deco? I have known a couple of divers who used O2 at the safety stop for their own reasons, usually a previous episode of DCS, but that would not require computer monitoring.

What are you going to do with multiple gases if is not accelerated deco?
Agreed, for the majority of users. Just an additional data point, the RAID Deco40 course allows gas switching to extend multi-level NDL dives but not as a means to accelerate deco, although being on a richer gas would, in practice, result in quicker deco.

I typically run 50/60, sometimes 50/70. It is ultra conservative I know, but I am the sole bread winner in my family and with 4 kids I am trying to buy down risk a bit. If I get a hit and need a chamber ride, Mrs. Tomcatbubba will put one foot up my butt, and the other squarely on my dreams of ever diving again.....

Besides, O2 is cheap and I find deco stops relaxing (usually). Plus, I typically have older students in Tec classes from the local Navy base and I like the conservatism with them as well.

I typically run 50/60, sometimes 50/70. It is ultra conservative I know, but I am the sole bread winner in my family and with 4 kids I am trying to buy down risk a bit. If I get a hit and need a chamber ride, Mrs. Tomcatbubba will put one foot up my butt, and the other squarely on my dreams of ever diving again.....

Besides, O2 is cheap and I find deco stops relaxing (usually). Plus, I typically have older students in Tec classes from the local Navy base and I like the conservatism with them as well.

This is just smart. I'm only a rec diver but plan to run safety stops as long as possible from this point on. Would like to get a Shearwater just to monitor surfGF/the tissue compartment view to have something fun to watch while at a safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom