Tg6 First pics and questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Took my tg6 for its first dive yesterday. We have pretty bad conditions locally but this is what I’ve got to show for it (after some on phone editing).

Also wondering about light position. I’m using a single handle tray and video light but seemed to have trouble getting it positioned. When it was out in front of my cam, it was hard to get the camera angle I wanted, and black background without the light being in frame. If the light was near the cam most of the time the tray made it hard to get close to stuff plus with surge keeping subjects in focus/frame was tough (spent 10minutes on that anemone shrimp and still didn’t get a great pic). The first guide I saw with a tg5 hand held it with a little light in his other hand. Is that a better option?

Tq11BJi.jpg

Svu7qcr.jpg

5jRRUIF.jpg

0wXNyL8.jpg

T31QPEd.jpg

Contrary to the dogma that lighting always has to come from an external flash positioned well away from the lense, the TG-6's internal flash works pretty well for macro if in relatively clear water. Reduces geometric problems in tight spaces.

upload_2020-8-1_8-38-15.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-1_8-38-48.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-1_8-38-48.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 86
  • upload_2020-8-1_8-41-1.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-1_8-41-1.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 115
Contrary to the dogma that lighting always has to come from an external flash positioned well away from the lense, the TG-6's internal flash works pretty well for macro if in relatively clear water. Reduces geometric problems in tight spaces.

View attachment 601866

View attachment 601868
Shortly i should be upgrading to the nikon z5 or the canon sl3, that being said i will always carry the tg6 in bc pocket for macro. The camera is amazing for these pixs as evidenced by your blenny shot

I found switching from a flex arm mount to a kraken setup made a huge difference shooting stills with my video light. I can get my light close and above some pretty small things and still get light on them. You also want a lot of lumens. I use my 2500 lumen Kraken light on full power and I see why people often double up 3800 lumen lights (at least in my dark and cold home waters).

50178568228_e2c488396e.jpg

The Sola light on there is usually on my wrist fyi.
49956879152_c1be979a03.jpg

49930189208_49f4cfaa24.jpg

49785410643_7f0495039c.jpg

Yeah I might give arm and clamp style a try. I have a tray and arms but it started getting a bit out of control. Bought a tray. Added arms. Had to get buoyancy arms to offset weight the little camera started turning in to a beast ha

If the situation allows,. I'll disconnect the light from the arm and place it near the subject.

It helps that I have quick-connect fittings.

There are still problem shots where the built-in flash may be the only option. Eg, down a pipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom