Chances LDS+Hydro Shop Didn't test + Rating? And Need Help Tank ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought a used steel and had my LDS get it Hydro & Viz. Came back with no + rating, they sort of told me that the hydro shop should've tested for +, but I don't believe them.

1) What should I do? Can I ask for like a hydro report or what was the REE they compared it too?

2) Does anyone know what tank this is and what the REE is? Or where I would find the REE? My only guess is, it may be 137?

3) Is there a way to test it's buoyancy characteristics? Or what would your best guess for full vs 500 psi?

All the Markings I can find
SCUBAPRO
M8303 FABER ITALY
DOT-3AA-2400-85/9044/ 137
5 ^ 85 +

Hydro Markings
04 | C9 09 | 07
03 | C9 09 | 13
07 | C9 09 | 20

I measured it to be
24-25" Tall
7.8" diameter

Doesn't seem to be a Faber LP85 Blue Steel since this has a larger diameter.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 81
you can ask for the hydro report, but it is up to the hydro retester to take the tank back and restamp even if you provide the REE. the most common reason for the + stamp not to be granted is that the REE value is not stamped on the tank.

realistically, the + rating is not really a big deal. you either are able to find someone to overfill the tank anyways or you should get a hp steel instead.

you can ask for the hydro report, but it is up to the hydro retester to take the tank back and restamp even if you provide the REE. the most common reason for the + stamp not to be granted is that the REE value is not stamped on the tank.

realistically, the + rating is not really a big deal. you either are able to find someone to overfill the tank anyways or you should get a hp steel instead.

Hmm I wish the LDS would have told me... I specifically asked them to test +. It's just annoying to be a customer and an LDS doesn't provide common sense service.

85/9044/137

85 - year made
9044 - batch
137 - cylinder in batch

Contact the folks at Blue Steel with the above information and they can get you the REE numbers:

Blue Steel and Kaplan Scuba - Contact Us | Kaplan Industries
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom