Ok to let DAN membership lapse while not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The premium for Dan, are those monthly, yearly, quarterly? I saw that membership is 35 a year, but wasn't sure on the insurance premiums.... Would assume monthly, but thought I would make sure

Nevermind, I just called them and found out it's annually... God that's cheap though...I had assumed it would be monthly, or at least quarterly...

I renewed the membership only part, since I don't expect to be able to dive anytime soon. I was told the insurance part can be added at any time.

Isn't it better to donate some money to DAN, rather than renewing insurance, since some of the money probably goes to an insurance underwriter? (For the time being, if you want to support DAN and not need the insurance.)

Nevermind, I just called them and found out it's annually... God that's cheap though...I had assumed it would be monthly, or at least quarterly...
Yes, it is by far the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you ever need it though it will save you thousands.

I consider it supporting an industry that is struggling right now. I can afford it, went ahead and renewed. My odds of having a claim when not diving are nearly none. But it still supports the organization for when I do dive again, better chance they will still be around.

My local motorcycle club that I ride with has had one ride the first of the year. Everything else is canceled until about October now. I still renewed. I want to keep the club going so when we can there will still be a club to ride with in the future.

With that said, if I was struggling with lost income. Screw them, I would need the money for myself.

I consider it supporting an industry that is struggling right now. I can afford it, went ahead and renewed. My odds of having a claim when not diving are nearly none. But it still supports the organization for when I do dive again, better chance they will still be around.

My local motorcycle club that I ride with has had one ride the first of the year. Everything else is canceled until about October now. I still renewed. I want to keep the club going so when we can there will still be a club to ride with in the future.

With that said, if I was struggling with lost income. Screw them, I would need the money for myself.

Would DAN be better off if instead of renewing with insurance, you take the insurance part and donate that directly to DAN? That way, DAN isn't spitting the money with an insurance underwriter?

My membership expires shortly but I don’t have any plans to dive any time soon.
Is there any benefit to having uninterrupted coverage?
I don’t see that there is a discount for renewing before the expiration date and saving the $150+ until I know I will be diving seems a better scenario.

It may depend on whether your bank account is stronger than your memory. The older I get, I sometimes think "How did I forget to do (-------)? I would hate to find myself on the wrong side of a diving accident, and then realize "Oh ****, I forgot to renew my DAN dive insurance. Having DAN auto-renew, if a pop-up dive opportunity arises, I just have to grab my gear and hopefully not have to even think about DAN during the dive adventure.

Would DAN be better off if instead of renewing with insurance, you take the insurance part and donate that directly to DAN? That way, DAN isn't spitting the money with an insurance underwriter?
The few people that would look for this would cost more in admirative costs then the savings would cover, not to mention adding to the confusion later when you are current with DAN but selected the non-insurance version. Too much room for too much stuff to be screwed up without are real gains.

The membership by itself it only $35, which I've kept. For the membership fee, at least you get the magazine. Since I'm not diving for quite awhile, I cancelled my dive insurance with DAN and they gave me a prorated refund, and I can add it back on at any time in the future. I chose to not let the insurance company benefit from my premium dollars and, instead, I've donated it to The Turtle Hospital in Marathon, Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom