HP 100 cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Why is the cost of HP 100's higher than just about every other steel HP tank? Is it just supply and demand?

I can usually find 120's for $60-$80 less. And the 120's are usually in stock when the 100's are not and that's why I'm guessing it may be an S&D issue.

Anyway, I'm looking at some HP 100's but for the money maybe a 120 would be better. I'm 5'11" so I could probably handle the longer tank. Extra gas seems to be a good thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A tank is a tank. Buy them used and save some money for gas fills. Being from Florida you should have no problems finding multiple sets of hp100's on Facebook, Craigslist, the forum here, or where ever else you want to search.

I saw some for sale around Pensacola but luckily got a heads up about the tanks. Apparently the guy or his friend had his own compressor and didn't bother with the filter or visuals. Tanks were supposedly toast from moisture. I contacted him anyway and ask about draining the tank and guarantee that they would pass Hydro if I bought them.
Well, I was told no that he wouldn't drain the tanks for me to look in and I wasn't buying new tanks so the hydro was my risk. I walked away. Supposedly he's still trying to sell those tanks. I really have no idea of the interior condition but not being able to look inside was a big red flag.

Anyway, I'm asking about new so I know the condition and history before I buy them.

Where are you seeing HP100s higher than the others? I've not experienced that. A quick look at DGX and DRIS and the HP100s are actually cheaper than 120s, 117s, and 133s.

Quick call to my local shop. They are able to order galvanized Faber 100's. I'd imagine there aren't too many US suppliers. So they all probably come from the same warehouse that yours would. The price between a 100 and a 120 was $43. The 100 being the cheaper of the two.

I can usually find 120's for $60-$80 less.
Have NEVER seen any prices even close to this - at least for cylinders actually worth buying.
Ghost95:
. . . maybe a 120 would be better. I'm 5'11" so I could probably handle the longer tank.
I am 5'11" as well and have dove 120s for many years. They work well for me as single cylinders. At one point I doubled them up as a backmount twin set, but found them to 'feel' a wee bit long in that configuration. In contrast, I like them a lot in a sidemount configuration.

I paid around 300 for mine a month ago, new, painted faber with xs valve. That was with O2 viz and a fill. Most of the used ones I found were the old DIN only threads, so I went new. I don't feel like converting everything over :)

^ What they said on the pricing.

I like HP100’s and HP120’s. I’d be happy to own either at the moment (currently tankless).

I’m 6’3”, so the extra length of the 120 doesn’t bug me. That and I can use the extra gas.

If you think you might want the extra gas, I’d go for the 120’s. That’s what happened with me. I had two HP100’s, did some dives with HP120’s, and was like “ugh...should have gotten 120’s.”

I did like the HP100’s though. I don’t think you can go wrong with either (again...if you don’t mind the length of the 120).

Morning all.

Well, after reading these posts it seems that maybe I got confused doing internet searches and wasn't comparing apples to apples. I was surprised that whatever prices I was looking at seemed reversed.

I did find that many of the places I checked didn't have the Galvanized tanks in stock. At least not the 100's. I do want galvanized tanks.

Now that I've redone the searches and made sure I was looking at the same things I only found one shop that has the 120's listed cheaper than the 100's. $364 for the 100's (when they get them) vs $321 for the 120's in stock. That is without valve but free shipping.

Now I just have to decide if the 120 or the 100 is better for me or if I want one of each.

I currently have 2 AL 80's, 2 steel 72's that I fill to 2800 and one set of old doubled 50's that I have yet to dive. The Al's are going away soon.

Thanks for the thoughts on the 120's. I'll have to see if I can find anyone to borrow one from to try out.

Back
Top Bottom