Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsiz3r13eex21.jpg

IIRC Tec 40 you don't use any deco gas. You just manage plan for deco using your back/bottom gas.
I think 45 uses one deco gas and 50 used two.
It's been a while and my logs actually don't reflect this.

What is the Tec 40 Course?
The PADI Tec 40 course is your first step into technical diving. It is a basic level of decompression diving that will allow you to dive with redundancy of gases, higher mixes of Enriched Air of up to 50%, decompression on EANX 50% for conservatism and up to 10 minutes of decompression. With the Tec 40 certification under your belt, you will certified to make limited decompression dives to 40 meters/130 feet.

That was taken from the following page. Tec 40 – Who, What, Where, When, Why?

Now, it is early and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I may have misinterpreted what I read. Also, that is from 2019 so I suppose it is possible that it has changed.

DW

What is the Tec 40 Course?
The PADI Tec 40 course is your first step into technical diving. It is a basic level of decompression diving that will allow you to dive with redundancy of gases, higher mixes of Enriched Air of up to 50%, decompression on EANX 50% for conservatism and up to 10 minutes of decompression. With the Tec 40 certification under your belt, you will certified to make limited decompression dives to 40 meters/130 feet.

That was taken from the following page. Tec 40 – Who, What, Where, When, Why?

Now, it is early and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I may have misinterpreted what I read. Also, that is from 2019 so I suppose it is possible that it has changed.

DW
IIRC today means I have a bad memory of anything from 3 years ago. :wink:

IIRC today means I have a bad memory of anything from 3 years ago. :wink:

I understand completely! I mainly posted that just to make sure I was not misinterpreting.

DW

I think that PADI Tec 45 is the first proper deco course using a deco gas? Anyway, at that level TDI will let you use 20/35. It looks like the first PADI course with trimix is a 65m qualification which I guess let you use 18/45 or some such. BSAC has a 50m trimix course, and most of the other agencies start much much shallower than 65m. Not only because of narcosis but lately because of gas density, for example the TDI Helitrox course has gone from 20% (maybe 25% I forget) helium to 35% at 45m following Gavin Anthony’s work on gas density.

Tec 40 lets you use a deco gas. PADI also has an optional Helium add-on that I think you can do at the Tec 45 level.

Yes, TDI Helitrox was 20% and now it's 35%.

All the Shearwater computers are expensive. You are not paying for features, those mostly go unused. Like buying a Mercedes rather than a Ford, the reasons are not altogether requirements.

I think the only feature you're paying for that is mostly unused is trimix support, which is just some software. The difference between a Ford and a Mercedes is a lot more than just software.

Did you ever buy a computer you considered not to be the best? In all seriousness, the new diver cannot really judge.

Yes. When I bought my first computer (an Oceanic), I knew that it wasn't the best computer on the market at the time. But, I also knew that it would meet all my anticipated needs (purely recreational diving, at that time) and it had all the features I wanted (including AI).

Tec 40 lets you use a deco gas. PADI also has an optional Helium add-on that I think you can do at the Tec 45 level.

Yes, TDI Helitrox was 20% and now it's 35%.

I couldn't remember this myself so i went an pulled my cert cards. I can't find my Tec 45 card but here is what my Tec40 and Tec 50 cards say:

Tec 40 - 50% O2 - Max Deco 10 minutes
Tec 50 - 100% O2 - Deco Dives (no helium mentioned)

I switched to TDI after Tec50..... If I can find my 45 card, i'll edit.

If you can afford to dive trimix you can afford a Perdix of Petrel.
Trimix is a crutch for people that can’t handle their narcosis anyway. Quit flexing and let us poors be happy. :wink:
Hello............................Well, said.

I guess the need for a shallower Trimix course is because some people get narc'ed at recreational depth limits? There's a cheaper way to fix that problem... flippin dive deeper more often. :wink:
If you had any idea what you are talking about then you might be dangerous. As is, your posts are just laughable. Thanks for the humor!

Back
Top Bottom