Millbrook Quarry: Recent Visits/Condition Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50* at 30’. :surrender:

The thermocline is at ~17’. Above that depth...it’s comfortable, but visibility is less than 10’. Below that...it’s cold, but the vis opens up a bit.

Time for a drysuit! You can even do your class at Millbrook :)

I’ll probably get around to doing that eventually. For now...I’ll probably stick to Phoenix.

3 mm in Millbrook?? You're a braver man than me! :cheers: I won't set foot in there without a 7 mm.

The great thing about Millbrook is its proximity to Northern VA residents. I plan on exploring it a little more this fall once my drysuit comes in. I hope to never dive it wet again...

Of interest to locals - I did hear that Juturna Springs got their zoning issues resolved and should be reopening in 2020. For us in NoVA thats a much better drive than Lake Phoenix (1 hour from my house for Juturna, 3 hours for Phoenix), and honestly that site once set up might have more potential. I went there twice before they shut down and I really enjoyed it. Everything was kind of sparse as they had just opened but the platforms and walkways that were in place already were well thought out and well built. Looking forward to it.
Heard from Juturna today. They are still working on reopening and are shooting for June, but that is dependent on quite a few factors. They said the best way to keep up to date is via their FB page. If I hear anything else I'll post it here.

I checked out their webpage last week. They're delayed due to issues getting the septic system for their permanent restrooms finalized. I would be surprised if they’re open by the end of the year.

I guess this thread OUGHT to be titled Millbrook vs Phoenix vs Juturna....

Bottom line is that Juturna is not open, Phoenix is WAY nicer than Millbrook in all ways except location for some.

Their Facebook page said they had some good news about the septic field. The guy behind it was also on the UTD Scuba Diving podcast (episode #11) a few weeks ago and provided some background on the project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom