Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I have an OLD not new mask that constantly fogs, but it fits really well.
Spit doesn't help.
Ammonia plus dishwasher?

Dishwasher first. If that doesn't do it, then ammonia.

My opinion, anyway, after ruining 2 masks with overzealous application of ammonia. Also having now tried some (2 or 3?) new masks with ONLY the dishwasher treatment and no other prep.

Dishwasher first. If that doesn't do it, then the ammonia.
You nailed the end of this thread. Enough of analysis paralysis.

I agree. Start with just the dishwasher. If not, the 'recommended' application of household ammonia: Level your mask in the open air and add enough ammonia to cover both lenses and allow for evaporation. 3 days for the first treatment. Dishwasher again.

@tursiops, If still not to your satisfaction, add two more days of ammonia and dishwasher. If that doesn't work, I want your mask!

PM me. Done with this experiment. We have, as a team, managed to identify and refine an additional (and novel) procedure to defog masks. Team success!

Tonight or tomorrow: First attempt to treat @Johnoly's masks. Yep. Done. Showtime!

Setting up now...

Mods: This thread has reached a conclusion but may well yet wander well beyond established norms for this forum. Please be open-minded...
........................................................................................................................................

Johnoly donated a dozen 'cheap' masks to help drag this thread out of the muck. I started with the Speedo mask for kids. I know what a Speedo looks like on the average grown male. OMG.

@Johnoly: Much editing to do tonight. First of three trials is a 'fail'. Sneak preview, more tonight...
Chemical Volcano.jpg

No, no! the mask is OK:

Mask Test1.jpg

Tonight or tomorrow: First attempt to treat @Johnoly's masks. Yep. Done. Showtime!

Setting up now...

Uncle Rob does the mask testing....Funny as heck..

I started with a cinder cone volcano on the test lens. It is not overly obvious but the mask is floating in a very concentrated solution of ascorbic acid. (Vitamin C) I have to go to Vimeo to give you the 3-second clip that gives the sound. >sigh< This might take a bit before I post a link...

Loaded mask.jpg

The ascorbic acid lake reduces all of the unreacted chromium 6 to chromium 3. Chrome 3 is still nasty, but far, far less so than chrome 6.

Hazards: OSHA Issues Final Standard on Hexavalent Chromium | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

You don't want any chrome 6 in your water supply: Erin Brockovich - Wikipedia

So remove all chromium from the environment?: Office of Dietary Supplements - Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Chromium

So first reduce all the chrome six to chrome three then precipitate as Cr(OH)3. Water-insoluble. Filter, bag, drop off next Wed at my recycling/hazmat collection site. No prob killed the chrome. Tagged and bagged handed off properly.

Years and years ago (1960's) this would have been a plaster volcano charged with several pounds of ammonium dichromate. Seriously, that was most impressive both in sound and visual effects.

No. But felt like I wanted to die. Cleanup is a bitch! -last time anybody is going to get this chemical reaction from me.

Next:

Rocket candy! Time-proven. Yeah, you can kill yourself with that too, but it takes much more effort.

:)

@Johnoly, If you so desire, get yourself a copy of the classic rocketry manual for amateurs. I have two. One I used for forever and a second that I bought because I temporarily misplaced my first one. Neither is for sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Manual-Amateurs-Bertrand-Brinley/dp/B001K2SI9M

Don't pay the stupid asking prices! As long as it is readable, any ragged dog-eared second-hand copy is every bit as good as a pristine original.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom