Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the engineering manager at Shearwater, "The Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries are a good choice."
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant the manual wasn’t clear if the Photo Lithiums were compatible with the fuel gauge. I knew they were compatible with the computer, just wasn’t sure if they would show on the gauge or just give green, yellow, red status.

My Safts finally arrived. I'm impressed that the Perdix seems to be able to automatically detect the battery type. I didn't expect that. Am I correct that even though the battery meter can't show the gradual decline, if you go to the battery info in the settings, it will show the real-time voltage of the battery?

My Safts finally arrived. I'm impressed that the Perdix seems to be able to automatically detect the battery type. I didn't expect that. Am I correct that even though the battery meter can't show the gradual decline, if you go to the battery info in the settings, it will show the real-time voltage of the battery?

It can roughly autodetect based on voltage. I don't know what the full ranges are or what the full type list is in there but it will very quickly know if the cell is lithium or not since full charge voltage is around 4.2v vs 1.6v for alkaline/nimh. Selecting saft vs liion if that is an option is not something it can do automatically, and it likely can't do alkaline vs nimh. I haven't changed battery type in my shearwaters in years so can't remember

It can roughly autodetect based on voltage. I don't know what the full ranges are or what the full type list is in there but it will very quickly know if the cell is lithium or not since full charge voltage is around 4.2v vs 1.6v for alkaline/nimh. Selecting saft vs liion if that is an option is not something it can do automatically, and it likely can't do alkaline vs nimh. I haven't changed battery type in my shearwaters in years so can't remember
I guess what I thought was interesting was that it called it "Saft". Or are they the only manufacturers of that voltage?

I guess what I thought was interesting was that it called it "Saft". Or are they the only manufacturers of that voltage?

They're "the" brand, like Kleenex or Q-Tips. Lithium as a chemistry has a nominal cell voltage of 3.6/7 volts, but SAFT is the brand that they first started using umpteen years ago when the computers required the higher voltage due to the power draw of the screens and were really the only option at the time. It's also a convenient short name to display on the screen

They're "the" brand, like Kleenex or Q-Tips. Lithium as a chemistry has a nominal cell voltage of 3.6/7 volts, but SAFT is the brand that they first started using umpteen years ago when the computers required the higher voltage due to the power draw of the screens and were really the only option at the time. It's also a convenient short name to display on the screen
Ah, so the Perdix is just calling all of them "Saft"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom