Cheaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David R Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need readers, distance is fine. I have the small inserts that glue in and the worked great for seeing the gauges. But, the glue to put them in is removable with warm water. Diving in the Caribbean, guess what, it's warm water and they fell out on the boat. Question is, since I'm going to have to have new mask lense for a perminant fix, can I just try super glueing them in? Do you think it will work.

superglue tends dissolve, soften, or cloud certain plastics.

it also off gasses for a long time, and that will definitely sting your eyes.

ide contact the MFG and see what they recommend, but i would avoid super glue.

superglue tends dissolve, soften, or cloud certain plastics.

it also off gasses for a long time, and that will definitely sting your eyes.

ide contact the MFG and see what they recommend, but i would avoid super glue.
Yep, I was expecting the off gassing. I might get to dive again in September. The clouding thing is my main concern. I think the mask is some type of tempered glass. The cheaters feel like some type of acrylic.

you can get lens like bifocals that have a small magnification in the bottom

DGX has some pretty inexpensive gauge readers. I bought the same masks with corrective lenses. The Dive Rite did not fit me, leaked like a sieve. The DGX Ren fits well. Not the best field of vision, but it is a big improvement. I will probably invest in some custom lenses in a better mask.

Obviously a prescription mask is best. I tried the "water" stick-ons and lost 2. I am no glue expert, but possibly an old product that's very hard to find may work-- Duco Cement. But, I don't know what water would do to it.
I had Lasik just before taking OW in 2005. Gauges a bit fuzzy, but good enough to be safe.

There's an optometrist here in Sydney that does prescription inserts for mask. He put +2.5 diopters in mine. He uses the correct sort of glue and I've done hundreds of dives with my mask without issues. Now, I'm not suggesting you come to Sydney to get yours, but you may be able to find a local optometrist that will do it for you.

Before that I had (and still have as a backup) a Mares mask which came with lenses already attached.

Back
Top Bottom