Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ugh - I feel so sorry for the folks at Garmin.
They have been really good to work with and very supportive of Subsurface. I was disappointed that they were adamant that Subsurface shouldn't try to connect with the Descent via BLE - but given how supportive they were in other ways, I didn't want to ignore their very strong request.
So unfortunately you need a PC/Laptop to get data off of a Descent MkI, but at least that always works, regardless of there being hiccups elsewhere in the internet.

Yes. That is totally asinine and one of the biggest Cons to buying a Descent (to me). Both that I can't download from it via BT, and the reason behind it (because Garmin wouldn't allow it).

I usually download from my Shearwater to Subsurface-mobile (via BT, of course) on my phone during the boat ride back from diving. SO convenient to get home, open Subsurface, and all my dive data is just there, ready to review and add notes.

Well that was a fun few days. Garmin was the victim of very high tech ransomware group that specifically targets large corporations. Connect was completely down, Active Captain down, and flyGarmin down. If you wanted your data you had to manually download then upload the data files to your platform of choice.

Cloud platforms rearing their very ugly head.

Well that was a fun few days. Garmin was the victim of very high tech ransomware group that specifically targets large corporations. Connect was completely down, Active Captain down, and flyGarmin down. If you wanted your data you had to manually download then upload the data files to your platform of choice.

For most of it, the Garmin Dive app was completely unusable - didn't even show any dives. Thankfully, they updated it to show offline dives 3 days ago, but that really shows how new and unfinished the app is.

For most of it, the Garmin Dive app was completely unusable - didn't even show any dives. Thankfully, they updated it to show offline dives 3 days ago, but that really shows how new and unfinished the app is.
The Garmin Dive app stores no data. It is all in the cloud. It is not that the app is new or unfinished, it is it could not show data as the cloud was unavailable. Three days ago they managed to get some of the systems working, that is all.

Well, maybe that'll add another 100 bucks to the watch lol.

I guess this will delay any announcement of the Mk2/MkII even further.

A little birdie chirped a couple of days ago that the MK2 delay is due to the US Navy's recent interest in procuring it (cha-ching $$$). The Navy wants some additional changes (my guess is adding Tactix features), tests, and evaluations to the current version of MK2...This will likely push the public to release more than a few months (I'm guessing they will hold until holiday season now)...This would be guaranteed gov't millions vs. potential commercial sales...
More Rumors :wink: sorry, not sorry! hahahaha

I see the MK2 as the perfect backup for a Perdix AI, wearing it in the surface as a normal watch, with the smartwatch functions and all, but then on a dive as a second bottom timer + AI (with single transmitter). Maybe that's my dream...

this is my exact thought. If I can’t use the same transmitter as my primary dive computer...what’s the point.

Yes.
The Descent Mk1 is a Fenix 5X with dive/apnea functions. The Mk2 is a Fenix 6x with dive/apnea and hopefully AI.

is there any speculation about the possibility to record heart-rate underwater with a belt heart-rate monitor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom