New Forum, History of Diving Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Glad it's now got a forum! Good history reading!

Great idea ! Thanks !

great information, thank you or sharing !

This is great. I would like to add 2 links from our YouTube Channel, A Diver's Life, that might interest readers. I interviewed Jacques Cousteau's illustrator about Cousteau, the dive team, his adventures, and the development of the aqualung and the diving saucer. There is a lot of old footage and pictures in this video people on this forum might like. These videos are in 2 parts:

Memories of the Cousteau and the Calypso Expecition Part 1 and Part 2. If you like the channel and want to hear more please subscribe. In part 1 you will see footage of Cousteau took while he was in the Franch Navy doing tests of the aqualung which was used to disarm the german mines in France at the end of WWII. Cousteau's illustrator, Dominique Serafini, talks about the time Cousteau specified what he wanted when the diving saucer was created. Dominique is a personal friend of mind and real treasure trove of information on Cousteau. He created a comic book series for children for Cousteau to reach a younger audience.

Memories of the Cousteau and the Calypso Expecition Part 1 and Part 2.

Great interview! Loved watching Cousteau's TV show. I know some guys who were aboard the National Science Foundation research vessel HERO when JYC was in the Antarctic. They told me Cousteau's TV show of the visit depicted CALYPSO's dramatic departure northwards (engine trouble or weather or some such challenge) from the continent but was purposely framed to show only his vessel in the footage on its own battling the elements, actually the HERO was right behind them the whole way...

Yes. That is unfortunate. As the video shows they were in dire financial straights and needed a home run - visibly to the world. That is unfortunate that the HERO got no recognition.

Yes. That is unfortunate. As the video shows they were in dire financial straights and needed a home run - visibly to the world. That is unfortunate that the HERO got no recognition.
Still, it was a great episode...and I really do appreciate JYC for helping spark an interest in the sea and science for me. Sad to see how the CALYPSO ended up.

Back
Top Bottom