Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much any lithium battery/cell is safe to leave in for extended periods as they don't have tendency to leak. Saft LS14500 is specifically designed for that type of applications with high capacity and great low current performance.
Thus I would not bother removing them for a few months hiatus.
Perfect, thanks!

You can still have a Saft for bad.

Attachments

• DSC_1470.JPG
    DSC_1470.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 102
You can still have a Saft for

What is the story behind this? Has it leaked after being drained empty like an alkaline does?
Or is it a corroded battery from a flooded battery compartment? Sure they have quite high energy capacity and go bad if short circuited.
Anyway, I leave them in a perfectly working Perdix with full battery indicator. I think constant opening and closing the battery cap is more risky.
Otoh I think rechargeable 14500 cells are a great option too.

What is the story behind this? Has it leaked after being drained empty like an alkaline does?
Or is it a corroded battery from a flooded battery compartment? Sure they have quite high energy capacity and go bad if short circuited.
Anyway, I leave them in a perfectly working Perdix with full battery indicator. I think constant opening and closing the battery cap is more risky.
Otoh I think rechargeable 14500 cells are a great option too.
If these Safts last and perform as well as I'm expecting, I picture leaving one in the Perdix until I see the battery level going down around half, then putting in a new one. Maybe put the old one into a computer mouse or something, or some non-essential device that can use one.

I find it kind of amusing that cost for these is really considered when they're under $10 or so. I see that as inconsequential when your life can literally depend on this device.

Story behind it. My shop trash doesn't get emptied very often. As in it takes a couple of years to fill the tote enough to need to empty it. As I was emptying it I noticed one of the SAFT batteries didn't look right. So I dug around and pulled out all that were in the trash. Lined them up, took a picture, dropped them in the recycled battery tote at work. Some of these didn't last very long, I suspect some were fakes. Thus a reason I just run the Energizer Ultimate Lithium now. I'll put in a SAFT in about a year before I go to Bikini. I prefer to make sure the big trips are all done on one battery, don't want to loose any tissue loading due to a battery swap mid-trip.

If these Safts last and perform as well as I'm expecting, I picture leaving one in the Perdix until I see the battery level going down around half, then putting in a new one.

This is what I am doing with my Perdix and Petrel2. I usually change them when the level indicator doesn't show full all the time anymore. Remember with safts you have only "traffic lights" indicator for battery. Due to lithium battery voltage curve once voltage starts dropping you have used most of the capacity. They last 50+ hours with full indicator. Much more for me since i dive mostly in dark environments.

This is what I am doing with my Perdix and Petrel2. I usually change them when the level indicator doesn't show full all the time anymore. Remember with safts you have only "traffic lights" indicator for battery. Due to lithium battery voltage curve once voltage starts dropping you have used most of the capacity. They last 50+ hours with full indicator. Much more for me since i dive mostly in dark environments.
Thanks. That's excellent info.

Thanks for reminding me to pull the alkaline battery from my Perdix. I use a Saft in my Predator and never worry about that, time to switch to a Saft in both.

I'm considering a Perdix AI - the only reason I haven't is that I don't know WHEN I'll be able to dive again...

Is there any reason to NOT just pull the battery after every trip? I mean, I'll go diving for a day, then not again for weeks. Or do 3 days of local boat diving, then nothing for a month (or longer). Why not just pull the batteries between trips? Is there something I'm missing?

I'd likely use new non-Duracell AAs for the computer, then pull them and save those for the TV remotes, home flashlights, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom