Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Panasonic alkalines, not worried about leaking batteries as I replace them every other month, or when the Perdix is showing them at ~30%.
Worked well so far.

I appreciate this thread. I just took the alkaline out of my Perdix. No problems, but it totally makes sense to take it out when not using it for a while. I also just ordered a set of Safts to use with it. Is there any problem taking the Saft out when not using the Perdix for a while, then putting it back in every time I use it? Or are these safe enough to just leave in if storing the Perdix for a matter of months?

Thanks.

Be careful with SAFT's, there are lots of counterfeits out there and as horrifically expensive as they are compared to how cheap the 14500's and eneloops are, I prefer to use rechargeable despite the lower run times. Eneloops perform quite well in the cold and IMO are the ideal battery to use in these things.
The Eneloop Pro
$28 for 4x of them with charger, so $7/cell with a free charger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5YCY1T/ref=twister_B00QGBZM14?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
$5.50/cell for Safts
https://www.amazon.com/baterías-litio-2400-mAh-recargables/dp/B082VLYMQ3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=saft+ls14500&qid=1595429643&sr=8-3

That article from Shearwater is very old and we have improved. Safts will still give the most run time, but how many of you are actually putting 130 hours per year on these things? As expensive sa those things are, I am OK with using rechargeables and I put a fresh one in before every trip along with checking the o-rings
Always, helpful..............Thanks.

I use SAFT. I need them for my JJ head and a leaking battery is an awful thing. I buy them from the U.K. Shearwater distributor who also supplies lots of odd space and ends and in particular JJ cells.

They essentially last forever. I change them now and again (maybe every 50 hours) and they rarely get low enough to move off the max level. If they do they drop quickly.

I also just ordered a set of Safts to use with it. Is there any problem taking the Saft out when not using the Perdix for a while, then putting it back in every time I use it?

No, not really, but while doing that you could use rechargeable batteries instead. I use Saft since I don't want to open battery compartment often and when I do, I always replace with new battery.

I use SAFT. I need them for my JJ head and a leaking battery is an awful thing. I buy them from the U.K. Shearwater distributor who also supplies lots of odd space and ends and in particular JJ cells.

They essentially last forever. I change them now and again (maybe every 50 hours) and they rarely get low enough to move off the max level. If they do they drop quickly.

your JJ can use 14500 rechargeables as well, just have to replace about twice as often as the SAFT's

No, not really, but while doing that you could use rechargeable batteries instead. I use Saft since I don't want to open battery compartment often and when I do, I always replace with new battery.
That's a good point. So the Safts are safe enough to just leave in the Perdix for an extended period of time of non-use? That would of course be preferable to me. The leaking alkaline thing sits in my head. Not sure if the Saft has any equivalent of that.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries is all I've ever used in my Petrels and my Perdix. Longer life and less risk of leakage. I replace them religiously at 6 months. I don't wait for the computer to tell me the battery is low. I then reuse them in flashlights and things around the house until they die fully.

Never use Duracell Alkaline as they WILL leak. Many a Shearwater has been damaged by leaking Duracells. If you use ANY alkaline AA don't let the computer sit unused for long with the battery installed. Remove the battery for longer-term storage. The risk of a leaking battery is too great.

This. Our water is a tad chilly and these hold up really well.

So the Safts are safe enough to just leave in the Perdix for an extended period of time of non-use?

Pretty much any lithium battery/cell is safe to leave in for extended periods as they don't have tendency to leak. Saft LS14500 is specifically designed for that type of applications with high capacity and great low current performance.
Thus I would not bother removing them for a few months hiatus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom