Setting up my GoPro 8 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Setting up my new Father's Day GoPro 8 black. Plan to carry it on a floaty handle with PolarPro filters. What would be the go-to settings for most diving between 15'-40'? 1080p at 60fps? Standard, Activity, or Cinematic? Worth shooting in 4k or would that finish off the battery and fill the card too fast? Anyone tried the Hypersmooth or low-lite features underwater or the zoom?

I for the life of me cannot figure out the settings for it... I dove Lake Erie on two different charters over the past month and every time I take a video I can clearly see it on the video screen underwater what I'm shooting then when I come back up onto the surface and download the video to my computer it is so dark you can't make out nothing. I am beyond frustrated with this thing. My old Intova camera that is 6 years old takes 10 times the video this thing does and it cost half of the price of this thing.

Not sure about the 8, but one issue with one of the earlier models I had was that 4K ran very hot and there were lots of condensation issues, even with condensation strips in the housing.
If the 8 doesn’t need a housing this issue wil obviously be negated..

I used a Polarpro red filter the first time I used my 8 and wasn't happy with the results. I think the newer models compensate for the water better than the old ones. The problems I have with 4K is the processing power needed to edit the video. I guess it depend on what you want to do with your videos, for regular sharing I think 1080 is fine. The hypesmooth is worth it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings myself.

Yeah that's y I never use 4K and alot of things can't play it back anyways. I had decent luck in clear blue water but where I dive it's dark and green water and I'm not sure if the camera sensor can't handle it but it is not good and dark water. I'd be real interested to see how it would function on a night dive for someone.

I for the life of me cannot figure out the settings for it... I dove Lake Erie on two different charters over the past month and every time I take a video I can clearly see it on the video screen underwater what I'm shooting then when I come back up onto the surface and download the video to my computer it is so dark you can't make out nothing. I am beyond frustrated with this thing. My old Intova camera that is 6 years old takes 10 times the video this thing does and it cost half of the price of this thing.
I'd recommend practicing with it on land first as it's much easier to troubleshoot the problem than when diving.

I've tried a lot of things even what these videos say and have had no luck. I've just come to the conclusion the GoPros are not good for low light situations

10-12 feet vis in green water, Hermosa Beach, CA. No lights, no filter.

Better vis in the Galapagos. No lights, no filter.

Yeah but low viz is much different than low light. 130ft deep in the Great Lakes is much different than 60 ft in the ocean or even 130 ft in the ocean. I just don't think the light sensor in the GoPro is very good

Back
Top Bottom