Molokini poaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from nearly a month on Maui and made it out to Molokini about 4x once out of quarantine. On each visit I observed people fishing with either line or spears either at Reefs End or just around the corner at Reefs End or Ene Nue. On the last day of diving at Molokini I had the first experience In at least 200 dives at Molokini of unwinding and removing fishing line from coral heads at Reefs End.

There have been reports made, including photos, to DLNR yet nothing is done. The lack of respect that people have for this protected area is sickening, and honestly the next time I hear locals or residents complain about the “damage” from tour boats at Molokini, I’m going to loudly express that the tour boats do less damage than illegal fishing AND they actually do a service by keeping the illegal poachers away from the crater.

COVID has more victims than humans in Maui; now Molokini’s game fish are at risk of death as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom