Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess if we were expecting all the bells and whistles of a Perdix AI at half of the price, Shearwater wouldn't have bothered to develop another product for a particular market and instead would have just slashed the price of a Perdix AI in half and ramped up production. This product isn't for me, because I want AI, but it definitely is a product produced by a reputable company with great customer service that fits the bill and price point for a lot of people out there. It makes sense to me for them to add this option to their line of products. If AI is not important to someone, then this computer is actually about 1/3 the cost of a Perdix + a transmitter for someone that doesn't have one already. It gives the non-AI recreational diver everything they need and then some in a very readable color screen -

If it is a $450 computer and has AI, huge win.

If it does not have AI (or a version/option with AI), then it is a hard fail. Just in my opinion, of course.

I have a couple of students right now (both, Nitrox, and one Advanced) that are in the market for computers. If it has AI, a $450 Shearwater computer would undoubtedly be my top recommendation. If it does not have AI, then I will most likely stick with my current recommendation of the Deep6 Gear computer at $275. At the level they are diving and will be diving for the foreseeable future, a black and white LCD screen more than meets their needs.

Thoughts on the Atmos Mission ONE for $300ish on sale? Custom gradient factors, color screen, buhlman. No AI though.

There is a little icon on the screen when it is charging.
I know, you still need to double check

I'm sure we've all plugged our phone in overnight, only to wake up in the morning to find for whatever reason it didn't charge. Easy to overcome with a phone - not so great with a PDC

Designed, made, sold and supported by a premium company with a 15 year track record of doing exactly that vs designed and made by some random bunch of people and then sold and supported by a two man band. Tricky choice.

I think it is great. I almost bought one earlier and I really don’t need another computer. £360 plus VAT. I like the single gas nitrox mode too. Custom GF, all the wild GF displays, etc. All at a vaguely sensible price.

Only two buttons though still... Can’t have everything I guess.

Not convinced this is a mass market product. Obv Shearwater diehards and those wanting buhlman with like it and I'm sure SW did their market research

From a dive centre POV - it's sitting in a display case next to a D5 or AL computer that have compass and AI - so to the average rec diver, it might not be an enticing buy

Time will tell - perhaps this is part of a medium term SW strategy, where they move the Perdix upmarket perhaps with a redesign, and then add AI and compass to the Peregrine

Not convinced this is a mass market product. Obv Shearwater diehards and those wanting buhlman with like it and I'm sure SW did their market research

From a dive centre POV - it's sitting in a display case next to a D5 or AL computer that have compass and AI - so to the average rec diver, it might not be an enticing buy

Time will tell - perhaps this is part of a medium term SW strategy, where they move the Perdix upmarket perhaps with a redesign, and then add AI and compass to the Peregrine

I think that biggest concern for Shearwater wss canibalising Teric and Perdix sales. If they include AI and compass to Peregrine for current price level, then only a very small fraction of divers would buy Teric and Perdix as they need Trimix and CCR function support.

Peregrine enables divers do normal deco dives, which is good for most tech dives. I am considering buying as well as He is very expensive and in nearest future I do not Trimix.

Peregrine enables divers do normal deco dives, which is good for most tech dives.

Pretty much all computers at that price point are good for accelerated deco dives with a gas switch

I get both sides. I don't use the AI on my Perdix, and I'm not a huge fan of E compasses (personal thing), so effectively I'm using my Perdix AI and a Peregrine. The difference is, I can use these feature if I choose, whereas no opportunity on the Peregrine.

Yes its a great back up computer for existing Shearwater users, and yes I understand that it's their entry model. However its competing with computers as a similar price point that do have the features it doesn't.

The OSTC sport, perhaps is its only equal, by being a similar form, havign Buhlmann and no AI - but it has the software upgrade path if you change yoru mind later - rather than having to invest in a new computer.

In car terms the Peregrine is like an entry level German car, that has basic equipment, where as for the same price you can buy another brand with all teh bells and whistles - Obviously there's a market for entry level cars because they make them.

I'm sure the Peregrine will be a great success for existing customers, my point though is its up against some stiff competition within its price bracket, where there is more choice,

Whereas at the top end where their other products sit, there is less choice and those investing tend to really know what they want out of a computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom