Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am showing that it costs $349 without the transmitter on Leisure Pro and $750 with the transmitter.
It does look like it can be had for $299 on e-bay and one other retailer- but again, w/o the transmitter.

Still a great price for what you get- unfortunately for me the Suunto transmitter is not compatible with all of the other computers I already own.
I am also not a fan of their algorithm.

I am showing that it costs $349 without the transmitter on Leisure Pro and $750 with the transmitter.
It does look like it can be had for $299 on e-bay and one other retailer.
Still a great price for what you get- unfortunately for me the Suunto transmitter is not compatible with all of the other computers I already own.
I am also not a fan of their algorithm.

And add in another $100 for the cable to download from it.

A local shop in So Cal is closing them out at $299. But I am not sure if they have any left. I can check if you're interested.

not really, i dive shearwater. just surprised that it would be that low. that is a big discount if they are including the transmitter.

I used to have that same setup on my doubles regs. Then I was diving one day and a well-known, highly-respected (including by me!) GUE instructor was there and he was looking at my rig. In doubles, the regs are general sideways(-ish), so the button gauge was on the side pointing up. It was small. Nevertheless, he looked at it and said, "you don't feel like that's a bit of a snag hazard?" I thought about it, and decided he was right.

Plus, having it there meant that I could assemble my rig, turn on my gas, and do a basic sanity check to confirm that my tanks were full without having to find my computer and turn it on. Eventually, I realized that that meant I was creating the opportunity for myself to find out much too late that I either forgot to bring my computer, that the computer was dead, or that the transmitter was dead.

So, between those two things I took the button gauge off. Now, I am forced to find my computer and get it out to check my gas when I assemble my unit. Less convenient, but a better process, I think. Especially when I'm assembling my rig on a boat that is about to head way out offshore. Being forced to make sure I actually HAVE my computer, it is not dead, and the AI transmitter is not dead - all while the boat is still at the dock - seems like a good idea.... :)

If I just need to check the pressure in a tank, I have a separate tank pressure checker gauge for that. No need to dig out a reg set and computer.

Hardly a snag hazard, but the pre-dive check sequence makes good sense.

For my wife's pre dive check, it involves me looking at the button gauge and then asking what her pressure is. So it works well for us.

The transmitter, lack of a SPG hose and the use of a regulator/inflator combo (which I know people loathe - get over it) make for an incredibly compact and simple setup for her. Keeps her happy, and us diving as a result. Pic of it below.

Attachments

• IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 93
I'm still not a fan of the rechargeable battery. For me the risk of a flood caused by user replaceable batteries is lower than the hassle of having the battery replaced every 5 years.

Valid point - This is one of those personal decisions based around the type of driving someone does.
Since I have both and Eon and a Perdix, I see both sides.

On your point about the rechargeable battery, certainly I brought the Eon fully understanding that in 5 years I would need a battery replacement, my thinking at the time was that after 5 years there might be another computer I'd want to upgrade to.

5 years on, my battery has degraded, when new (with my settings) it showed 32 hour dive time when fully charged, now its reduced to 28. So not too bad (comp has done 1000 dives). Because I'm in Dubai, even in the shade in the summer on a weekend boat trip the comp will be heat soaked to +40C (+100F) so above the recommended storage temp.

Yes there are negativities, I charge our Eons when they get to 20 hrs (every 2 ish days) on a trip, if there's a charging problem I want to know in advance. On the Eon there are property charging leads - so if you lose/ break one you're stuffed (2 computers 2 leads so I'm okay) Charging contacts need regular cleaning too.

I'm not a huge fan of QI charging because on my phone (different but similar I know) it has to be put in exactly the right place otherwise no charge. For a PDC, you certainly want to confirm its charging and not wake up the next day having found yoru assumption was wrong and no charge for that dive day (hence me always charging with plenty of reserve)

For my Perdix, I carry a spare battery cap - it would be so easy to drop or lose it, and yes spared batteries. I once made an error and left my batteries in their original packaging which got damp and they discharged. Fortunately the boat had a couple of spare AA for me to use that week. User error yes, but easily done.

And yes the remote chance of flooding - you need to be careful just to be sure.

My Ideal solution is the OSTC method where it uses AA rechargeable, and you can recharge the battery inside the computer or just use normal AA (they fixed the issue so it now prevents you trying to charge a none rechargeable battery and causing the battery to melt down).

So for me , battery type is less of an issue and from actual experience I see that rechargable PDC batteries do have a good life expectancy (I know of 5 other Eon owners in my area, having owned their computers for similar time and no-one had a battery change yet). When mine does need to be changed I'll weigh up the decision whether to keep my current computer and change the battery OR move to a different model - if there's something I feel is better for me.

Because I insist on a backup SPG ... for me. It’s that simple. I’ve had spool o-rings form a leak 2-3 times in 15 yrs. NEVER during a dive. Always when turning my rig on. When that happens I just replace them. I always have spares with me.

If you don’t want a backup SPG than don’t use one.

I'm with @JimBlay

I've had two SPG spool leaks, both minor, in 18 years. I also carry extra spools, and simply replaced them

Agree with both.

I find teh extra O-ring argument to be nonsense hyperbole, and its the same people beating the same dead horse. Yes I've had a couple of O ring failure (in +1000 dive in really hot climates) they've all happened when turning the gas on, and If I'm honest they were all showing sings of leaks before hand - and I'd procrastinated about changing (always tomorrow)

All my rigs have conventional SPG (Transmitters are on QD short hoses) my choice. I prefer to use my SPG for gear set up.

The only time I've had a TX fail is when I'd put off changing the battery

When teaching I use my SPG to set a good example (Student can see a slow deliberate movement of checking spg, rather than glancing at my computer). On Sidemount I don't use AI, because my Eon can't display 2 gasses, and I don't want ti invest in extra Transmitters for my Perdix, when using SPG is real easy.

Back mount on my Scooter - in current - AI certainly preferred.

So I'm now ambivalent over AI (was a huge huge proponent).

However I'd be unlikely to every buy a computer that wouldn't allow me the option of havign a transmitter in the future if I chose to have.

I would absolutely expect the new SW offering to have this function, since its in direct competition with computers that do. For the average buyer no AI option could well be the deciding factor against purchase)

That middle $500 sector is hard fought with lots of options for the average (Not shearwater diehards) buyer

Well, from the deleted pics I saw, it just LOOKS user friendly and fun which is what I think most vacation divers are after. I think the price point might be slightly high, but for the occasional diver who wants to treat him or herself to new piece of gear before that big vacation, its not terrible relative to the cost of a family Caribbean vacation. I think it will do well provided Shearwater can garner some name recognition from the rec diving crowd to distance itself from the cheaply made copy cats bound to spring up in the aftermath of its production.

I would think it would make a good stocking stuffer too as it is one size fits all and doesn't depend on the user having any other gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom