Trip Report Make Cozumel Great Again: Trip Report, June – July 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorough,informative write-up. And, I got a chuckle out of the thread title, largely because I just knew someone would manage to get their knickers over an innocuous little play on words. :rofl3: :clapping:
He is "un-nerved" at the thought Cozumel could be great again. :rofl3:

Good to hear from you again. Where did I meet you, on the Tres Pelicanos boat in 2017? I remember someone on that boat recommending Blue Angel to me, specifically for the night shore dives.

For the Sea of Cortez, would you recommend a liveaboard or a terrestrial dive operation? I looked into it and it seems like the terrestrial dive operations out of La Paz involve long and expensive boat rides, and that a liveaboard might yield more diving time and better value for the money. There was a resort in Cabo Pulmo that sounded interesting, but I lost interest when I read about repeated thefts of cash from their rooms in their reviews.

That was probably me recommending the BA night dives. Yes, we met on the 3P boat and Casa Mexicana.

We did Sea of Cortez staying in La Paz, but yes, the boat rides are long First dive of the day was around 11 AM by the time you got in the water. The boats were doing 3 dives per day and we'd get back around 6 pm. La Paz had some great food and a nice town, but if you can swing it a liveaboard would be great to get some extra dives in. A full week might become repetitive though. We didn't mind because of the high quality, but if you don't want to repeat sites possibly a liveaboard is the better option as they could reach out farther probably. We would like to go back and probably will someday but options are limited which is why Cozumel has been our go-to spot for so long now.

The chef at BA is very accommodating if you have special diet needs (at least he used to be...).
I do not consume grains of any kind (no wheat, rice, barley, corn, etc). I also do not consume any processed sugars or sugar substitutes. Now try and order at a Mexican restaurant with those restrictions! Blue Angel has managed to accommodate me every time.

I think they have a decent variety of items on their menu. The basics are steak, chicken and locally caught fresh seafood. They offer a custom breakfast anyway you like it. Breakfast is my main meal for the day so this works great for me. For lunch and dinner, they have this delicious grilled veggie & meat bowl that is really awesome. Of course, if you like the traditional stuff they have all that too.

Tip well and be treated well!

They also have - or used to have - the 2 for $10 apps during 2x1 happy hour. I think 4pm - 6:30pm. We found them tasty and generous, often resulting in no need to have dinner later.

Thanks for all these posts..just booked for early October and can't wait to see how the reefs repaired themselves! and hope to see more larger critters! Hey I saw a video a newly found Norta' reef ...is it worth going to dive it?

As always, you and @drrich2 set the bar for your trip reports. Glad to see that you got back to Cozumel. I knew you would have a better experience the 2nd time around. I appreciate all of the detail you put into your reports!

I was there after the reef closures last year. Trip Report: Cozumel-- November 17-25, 2019

Haven't been back in the interim, but I am seriously considering a trip in October. Your report and those of others help to inform me. I have my preferred place to stay and dive operator. But given the current environment, I might have to make some adjustments.

I have a Sea of Cortez liveaboard planned for next year.
For land based diving, I would recommend going to Loreto and diving with Blue Nation - Diving & Snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez

What is this activity near the car ferry dock on Cozumel? Some FB rumors suggest another cruise dock, which I think would effectively kill the reefs and the island. Anyone know what they're doing?

000.jpg

The title of this thread made me dig up a poster I took a picture of in a window of an art shop just outside of the square a few years ago.
El Presidente.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom