Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what they give us every day
Ok, thanks, but the graph posted by WetinPortland from the 18th, the one you posted about occupancy from the 19th, and this one from the 20th are so different that it's like comparing different varieties of apples - all of them apples but still different, so I don't guess a fair comparison can be drawn. I don't read Spanish well at all (better than I did 30 years ago in Purto Rico when I told my daughter to find Salida on the map and it must be a big city since every exit goes there :confused: ), but none of those quote percentages of ICU beds filled vs open, do they?

Even tho Wet's weekly graph of the 18th and your last one of the 20th are very different, I do see a defuncio (dead?) increase for the island from 20 the week before vs 25 on Wet's 18th graph, and now 28 on yours of the 20th. Not at all a positive trend. With more positive tests than negatives, I guess it's obvious that they don't test unless you show symptoms.

Of course, none of us want to travel there and end up taking a hospital bed, much less an ICU bed so, with the discouraging trends, the discouraging reports of locals and visitors alike only masking up for show don't help. But then I see intelligent people in US news and on my FB friends alike claiming that masks don't help and they won't go where they have to wear even tho the science has been clarified that they not only help but they are our best solution.

I really ought to go ahead and cancel my planned August visit, but I'm trying to talk myself into going if I can see a positive trend of actions and of results.

But then I see intelligent people in US news and on my FB friends alike claiming that masks don't help and they won't go where they have to wear even tho the science has been clarified that they not only help but they are our best solution.
I am not sure how intelligent these people really are if they claim wearing masks "don't help"
The evidence is out there. MASKS SAVE LIVES

Ok, thanks, but the graph posted by WetinPortland from the 18th, the one you posted about occupancy from the 19th, and this one from the 20th are so different that it's like comparing different varieties of apples - all of them apples but still different, so I don't guess a fair comparison can be drawn. I don't read Spanish well at all (better than I did 30 years ago in Purto Rico when I told my daughter to find Salida on the map and it must be a big city since every exit goes there :confused: ), but none of those quote percentages of ICU beds filled vs open, do they?

Even tho Wet's weekly graph of the 18th and your last one of the 20th are very different, I do see a defuncio (dead?) increase for the island from 20 the week before vs 25 on Wet's 18th graph, and now 28 on yours of the 20th. Not at all a positive trend. With more positive tests than negatives, I guess it's obvious that they don't test unless you show symptoms.

Of course, none of us want to travel there and end up taking a hospital bed, much less an ICU bed so, with the discouraging trends, the discouraging reports of locals and visitors alike only masking up for show don't help. But then I see intelligent people in US news and on my FB friends alike claiming that masks don't help and they won't go where they have to wear even tho the science has been clarified that they not only help but they are our best solution.

I really ought to go ahead and cancel my planned August visit, but I'm trying to talk myself into going if I can see a positive trend of actions and of results.

The graph I posted showing multiple days of hospital occupancy was just data pulled from that fancy looking thing I posted. The fancy one is what the state posts here every day - it’s great to look at a single days report but you have to put multiple days together to see trends so that’s what I did - I pulled numbers from the state report every Sunday since they started reporting hospital occupancy. Scott was posting a simplified version of that fancy one - people didn’t understand what names correlated to cities - same numbers, just showing less.

Hospital occupancy what is it? Frick if we know, it’s a number. Is it icu beds, or are they including how many beds they can put in hallways?? Chetumal’s rate will drop dramatically in a few weeks as they are throwing up a huge temporary building, they’ve already done that in Cancun. Some of the small areas bounce around a lot, they must have very small clinic type buildings so we’ve really only been looking at the big four cities.

Is it safe here? I’d say yes it’s as safe as anywhere else. Stay away from the all night poker games back on ave 100, don’t go out drinking with the boys on the corner. In the hotels, restaurants, boats etc - they are really trying and doing pretty well.

My comments about closing down are based on the constant slow trend up in hospital occupancy - it’s happening, it’s not blips and it’s not going down. At some point at this rate there will be too much - when is that point? They are really trying here, it just seems that it’s not working and reality is up ahead.

Spoke to a friend on Coz that is a private practice "house call" physician.
He signed 12 death certificates in the last two weeks.
All at home deaths, no testing.
Normal for him is one every few weeks.

I think the chambers are at the private "for profit" hospitals, not the public hospitals.

Is there any link between hospital capacity and availability of the chambers?

Good question but I do not believe so. Here's a new thing they started a few weeks ago, I'll post it below. If you click on a city name, then down below you can click on Covid hospitals. When you do that for Cozumel, it brings up four hospitals - three public ones plus the Naval hospital - I'm not sure what the Naval hospital is really. What they don't show is the private hospitals and I think there's chambers in two private hospitals, there's at least one in International.

In the occupancy percentages, it doesn't look like they include the Navy or private hospitals.

I was looking for it but is just came out - as of the report today, Cozumel is at 45% occupancy which sorta says they are only counting those three public ones.

Geoportal de Quintana Roo

110160398_3565620506833352_4596195174520608089_o.jpg

Hospital capacity - there's a limit. Maybe they'll just stop admitting people and let them die at home in quest for the almighty tourist dollar.

Well, in the quest for the almighty tourist dollar the powers that be in Mexico already destroyed the island and the lifestyles many locals enjoyed when they rammed cruise ships through with the lie that the $ the cruise ports would produce would result in new schools, new infrastructure (Roads/sidewalks/expanded municipal water & sewer), higher wages, affordable housing, better healthcare, etc. etc. etc. Several old locals have told me over the past 15 years or so at different times the worst thing that ever happened to Coz was the cruise ships as they haven't seen any of the benefits or improvements that were promised long ago.

No one in Mexico is moving to Coz to capitalize on some great standard of living and fantastic job/career opportunities. I've known a few single men in their 20's who came to the island to work the dive industry but after a few years they packed up and went back to their home towns in Mexico. Same thing happens in the USA with places like the Fl Keys, Hawaii, and other places that seem so great but once you get there it's just another place, another job, the wages aren't any better and the cost of living is usually much higher because you are more remote living in what you thought was gonna be a paradise. The grass always looks greener on the other side but it seldom is.

You have to do what you have to do Dandy but I think one thing is certain since this whole thing began... You are most likely safer traveling now or in August than in the months that will follow. As time goes by, this keeps spreading and getting worse. If you can't justify it now and you back out you probably won't be back to Coz for a long time unless you are willing to accept a higher level of risk than travel currently presents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom