Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look what I saw recently...

Well... that's unfortunate. :(

might be for comparison testing. not uncommon in R&D to compare against your competition.

They're on a twinset. I bet the diver had a Shearwater on his other wrist...

Uh oh! That does not look like a PPS transmitter :(

Well... the one in the foreground. The one in the background is.

Looks pretty similar to me... Even the screws are in the same position as the PPS. If you look at the Aqualung model, the shell is a bit different than the Shearwater, different pattern.

Let's have some hope...

Look what I saw recently...

I reeeeally hope they're licensing some kinda communication standard, but somehow I expect those are completely proprietary. They already have proprietary over-the-air communication with ANT+.

The community has been moaning for an MK2 with AI for months and expecting PPS standard. Given that Garmin is new in the field, wouldn't be a bit dumb to develop a new communication standard when AI is not yet 100% accepted by the diving community?? instead of using PPS or at least some of the existing proprietary protocols like Suunto or Scubapro? This is not a cheap watch... Who targeting AI would spend such amount of money for something not proven, therefore potentially relegated to a backup role? 2 transmitters then? I don't get it.

I see the MK2 as the perfect backup for a Perdix AI, wearing it in the surface as a normal watch, with the smartwatch functions and all, but then on a dive as a second bottom timer + AI (with single transmitter). Maybe that's my dream...

The community has been moaning for an MK2 with AI for months and expecting PPS standard. Given that Garmin is new in the field, wouldn't be a bit dumb to develop a new communication standard when AI is not yet 100% accepted by the diving community??

I agree that it would be dumb to make their own ... unless it incorporated some truly innovative feature(s) that nobody else had. I cannot think of what that would be. But, maybe that's why I'm not in product management at Garmin...

Who targeting AI would spend such amount of money for something not proven, therefore potentially relegated to a backup role? 2 transmitters then?

The same people who jumped on the Descent Mk1 when it first came out...?

I agree that it would be dumb to make their own ... unless it incorporated some truly innovative feature(s) that nobody else had. I cannot think of what that would be. But, maybe that's why I'm not in product management at Garmin...

The same people who jumped on the Descent Mk1 when it first came out...?
The MK1 without AI was a very nice smart/dive watch and I can see many potential buyers with money that don't care about AI or they will use it as a backup. Same for the MK2 without transmitter. But the transmitter will cost at least 300 bucks on top of the MK2... Do you think will have many adopters if is a new technology?

I get your point, but I hope they don't come with any excuse to launch their own...

Oh my. Time will tell. One of my only complaints with the Garmin is that it's not AI.

I reeeeally hope they're licensing some kinda communication standard, but somehow I expect those are completley proprietary. They already have proprietary over-the-air communication with ANT+.
I was told earlier this year by the owner of a LDS around here that the transmitter would be proprietary. He got his information from a long-time dive buddy of his who was one of the people chosen to test the MKII. At least that's what I was told. Now, this is coming from the friend-of-a-friend, so take it with a grain of salt. But it would be in keeping with Garmin's standard MO.

In any event, my Fenix 3 is getting pretty long in the tooth, and it would be nice to get a MKII as a multi-sport watch that I could use as a backup to my Teric. So I'm looking forward to whenever they release it.

Back
Top Bottom