Dreaming of a Scuba Diving Job? What Skills Will Help You to Stand Out From The Crowd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary_Ward

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We're currently facing a bit of a crisis in the Scuba Diving industry at the moment as COVID cripples the travel industry. This is creating significant levels of over-supply in the market for dive professionals, which means securing a new job in the short terms is going to be harder than ever...

As a long standing dive business in the Caribbean we receive hundreds of applications for work each year, most of which get nothing more than a very casual glance at. Its clear than many of the applicants do not understand how the industry works or what value they add, and are not able to get across the skills which would be beneficial to our operation.

In this short video we discuss the key skills we're always looking for in applicants and what we look for in their applications. These key skills will help you to stand apart from other applicants, and hopefully stand you in good stead to get that next dream job in scuba diving.

Brilliant question from the other side of the fence! You asked, so I submit this for your professional consideration:

Your target divers (students) are all different. DiSC Profile Test - 15 Classical Patterns (1 of 20). The best instructors understand this, can evaluate/bin them in a day, and show them how to move forward in a manner that is comfortable to them. It isn't rocket surgery, but it does require the professional to put ego aside and focus on the student.

YMMV...

If you want to make 1 million dollars in the dive industry, start with 2 million dollars.

That would suggest a 50% return on investment (making 1 million from a 2 million start). In truth, if you want to get a million out of the scuba industry, put 2 million in would be a better analogy....

However, some of us don't do this purely for the money. I had a fairly successful finance, banking and consulting career for 25 years. I decided to "retire" from that well paid environment in order to do something I love. Of course I want to do this professionally and well too.

. It isn't rocket surgery, but it does require the professional to put ego aside and focus on the student.

YMMV...

That is a very good point. The best educators are those that are able to support their clients/students in their developmental needs. However, what I will point out is that depending on your location will determine the educational skillset you need. In a resort location, where you might only do 40-50 certs a year, with most of those being entry level or environmental specialties... being one of the top educators in your field might be wasted. Being able to engage with all our clients (mostly older fun divers), making them feel comfortable, safe and welcomed means we create more opportunity for success.

Good video that though tailored to scuba diving has many key points for any job application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom