Trip Report Back in the high life, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 5 of 7. A very interesting day. I did 4 dives with Starfish, Capt Eddy and deckhand Ren. Started off very stormy with lightening, thunder, wind, and rain. Seas were 2-3, some bigger.

1st dive was on the Castor, 1st time I have been there since last year. The water was on the chilly side, 78 degrees, I wish I would have had my hooded vest. There was little current you could swim around freely. There were a dozen Goliath Grouper on the stern, unconcerned, you could slowly approach up close. There were large numbers of Barracuda and small schools of Horse-eye Jacks, little bait. 2nd dive was at Black Condo, glad I added my hooded vest, 79 degrees. A couple of Nurse Sharks, a couple of Loggerhead, the usual reef fish.

It began lightening up as we went in for lunch. By the time we went back out, it was much flatter and no longer raining. 1sr dive was on the outside of Gulfstream, crossing over to Black Condo. Saw a few Loggerhead on the crossover. Highlight was a small, 4 foot, Hammerhead on the inside. Water had increased to 81 degrees. The last dive was up north at Castle Ledge, a very relaxing slow drift. By the time we came up, seas were nearly flat and the sun was out, great end to a great day of diving

Day 5 of 7. A very interesting day. I did 4 dives with Starfish, Capt Eddy and deck and Ren. Started off very stormy with lightening, thunder, wind, and rain. Seas were 2-3, some bigger.

1st dive was on the Castor, 1st time I have been there since last year. The water was on the chilly side, 78 degrees, I wish I would have had my hooded vest. There was little current you could swim around freely. There were a dozen Goliath Grouper on the stern, unconcerned, you could slowly approach up close. There were large numbers of Barracuda and small schools of Horse-eye Jacks, little bait. 2nd dive was at Black Condo, glad I added my hooded vest, 79 degrees. A couple of Nurse Sharks, a couple of Loggerhead, the usual reef fish.

It began lightening up as we went in for lunch. By the time we went back out, it was much flatter and no longer raining. 1sr dive was on the outside of Gulfstream, crossing over to Black Condo. Saw a few Loggerhead on the crossover. Highlight was a small, 4 foot, Hammerhead on the inside. Water had increased to 81 degrees. The last dive was up north at Castle Ledge, a very relaxing slow drift. By the time we came up, seas were nearly flat and the sun was out, great end to a great day of diving
How was visibility on the Castor? Thanks again for a daily report.

Amazing how things can change so much in the course of one day! Always a good reminder of just how dynamic the ocean environment truly is.

Wish I was there.
Actually had a dream last night I was FINALLY getting to dive again.... as I was gearing up, I discovered my BC was missing and everyone else had already jumped.

Wish I was there.
Actually had a dream last night I was FINALLY getting to dive again.... as I was gearing up, I discovered my BC was missing and everyone else had already jumped.
I have dreams like that, failure dreams. Luckily, I am here and successfully diving :)

I apologize, I was too tired after my 4 dives yesterday to post day 6. I will post yesterday, and my last day, 7 here. First of all, the small Hammerhead I reported on day 5, was actually a Bonnethead. It was a new one for me. Capt Alex made the ID for me.

I did 4 dives off Loggerhead, Boynton Beach yesterday. In the morning, I buddied with a very skilled regular on Loggerhead who I have dived with before Leila. We had a marvelous time, first dive outside of Clubhouse and the second dive starting outside of Black Condo and finishing inside at Briney Breezes. Water temp was 83 on the 1st and 81 on the second dive, visibility 60-70 feet. Many Loggerheads, nice free swimming Green Moray, the usual reef fish. We had a short deco obligation after all the time spent at depth.

I dived solo in the afternoon. 1st dive was a very relaxing drift at Delray Ledges. Nothing remarkable, but interesting how many lobster have come in over the last couple days. They should beat it before Mini Season. My second dive was phenomenal, thanks to Capt Alex. The dive was at Table Tops. I was dropped south of Big Rock on another island and drifted north. Rather than going West, to the finger, I went east to the main reef, part of this may be Lynn's Reef. The reef was pristine, with many huge collections of reef fish. The highlight was at an eastern cutout, where the was the largest school of grunt I have ever seen They extended beyond vision, a huge mesmerizing river of fish. I swam northwest to the end of the reef and did the jump to the smaller western island. One of my favorite spots, the Sargeant Major place, had not only the namesake fish, but many others. In addition, there were probably a dozen lobster under the small ledge. Wow 72 minutes of pure joy.

Did two nice dives off Loggerhead today with Capt Jim and deckhand Josh. Did Clubhouse outside to Gulfstream inside and Briney Breezes outside to Gazebo and Castle Ledge inside. Water was 81 on the 1st dive, 83 on the 2nd. Several Loggerheads, a couple of Nurse Sharks, the usual characters.

I'm very appreciative for the opportunity to dive the last 7 days, 20 dives, over 21 hours.

Until next time, hopefully soon. Good dîving to all of you :)

Man, you are at liveaboard level diving!

That is awesome. Yours and Trailboss' reports have really lit the fire under me for a Florida trip. Especially with all of the turtle talk.

Thanks for sharing.

Man, you are at liveaboard level diving!

That is awesome. Yours and Trailboss' reports have really lit the fire under me for a Florida trip. Especially with all of the turtle talk.

Thanks for sharing.
Not as many turtles as there were a month or so ago, but still a good number. Of course, we'll be coming up on Goliath Grouper aggregation :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom