Would you choose a "Technical." Dive Computer for "Recreational." Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Breakwater

"Outlaw." Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. This is somewhat of an "Off Shoot." from another post.:stirpot:
Single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer
The "Key." word was "Recreational." So, as with, per normal S.B. and allowable "Off-Topic." replies.....we basically went from "Recreational." dive computers to:; "Trimix." "CCR." and "Accelerated Decompression."
I didn't realize, that "Accelerated Decompression." was incorporated into "Recreational." diving?
(I didn't get the memo.) Then, on to the Suunto HelO2 ( Which isn't a "Recreational." dive computer.)
So....It got me thinking? I was curious if, anyone would buy a "Technical." dive computer even, if, they never intended to follow the "Technical." path.
I can see many advantages to buying a "Technical." dive computer, one being the algorithm, (Accounting for diver error.)
Cheers.

I would absolutely recommend a technical computer for a recreational diver who had the money. I think a Perdix, for example, is as close to a perfect computer as anyone is going to get if they’re willing to invest an hour or two in actually understanding what it’s saying.

I believe that for the same reasons I use them in technical diving. They’re less messy than recreational computers, more focused on doing what they need to do which is all most of us care about.

Having a 15 year old Oceanic 1-button computer with an outdated data cable and lost all the software I needed a new computer. This was 5ish years ago. Ton of research, knowing I really wanted to step it up in the future. Got a "technical" Shearwater. Back when Shearwater only had the Petral, just before the Petral 2.

That was great. Simple to use. So easy to understand. And later if I wanted to try and understand what is happening, there is more data to further my understanding. Not to interfere with the recreational use. One day I decided to try stepping it up, set it to technical mode. For a while I went back and forth on what mode to run. Just a simple dive, rec. Doing something a little more aggressive, tech. Later took a Nitrox class, after that it stayed in tech a lot more. Added a rebreather and tech is the only option. But the rec mode was a great way to start and learn. That is now my spare. I would have no issues putting it on someone as a first computer, just in the rec setting.

From my experience as an active instructor who teaches at all levels especially recreational level, if the recreational user isn't shielded from the technical features somehow, it will lead to errors in use and potentially the diver will get hurt. For beginner divers, it is VERY confusing and intimidating to say the least and I have seen and dealt with these beginner divers putting in the wrong configurations/settings in the computers where they almost got hurt. Not everyone is a diving or dive computer aficionado and hence there should be differentiation in the menu and settings available to recreational and technical divers. If the diver has no intention of going to technical diving, then there is no reason on earth for them at all to buy a technical diving computer.

I know that Ratio Computers allows you to upgrade their computers to a higher level (more technical diving) license when you want to use their more advanced/technical features for a license fee but you can buy their entry level computer (it is still a very comprehensive computer) and never have to pay anything extra if you don't need the features.

Saying that they should buy a technical dive computer as recreational divers who have no intention of going the tech. diving route or who are still beginners, is a crime.

I did. Both my husband and I have a Perdix. We like to use it in recreational mode. We are strictly rec divers.

I'd buy a Teric and use it in rec mode. Though that might count as buying a rec. computer with a free locally-activated upgrade path to a tech one. Better access to conservation control and transmitters for dive phase SAC rate would be reasons.

Even when I had no interest in tech, I would have liked a Perdix for a better understanding and display of my fast and slow tissue loading beyond just a NDL number.

Handing a full tech computer to someone that believes changing the computer's Nitrox/Heliox setting changes their tank's gas is a bad idea. Though they likely should be kept away from simple nitrox computers as well.

What do the Brit's use, as they include limited back-gas deco fairly early?

ETA: I like the tissue model theory, so a tech computer is interesting. But explaining away all the things to not worry about or adjust may take up valuable learning bandwidth for a new diver.

What is a technical dive computer? And what is a recreational dive computer? What is technical diving?
A technical dive computer is explicitly stated in the original post as one designed to support technical dives, such as "Trimix, CCR, and Accelerated Decompression". A recreational dive computer may support some dives exceeding the universally acknowledged recreational limits of no decompression and 40m depth, but is not purpose-built for that. The question that is helpful is whether a technical computer serves as a good recreational computer, and I look forward to informed answers, rather than feigned clarification.

A recreational dive computer may support some dives exceeding the universally acknowledged recreational limits of no decompression and 40m depth, but is not purpose-built for that.
Putting lawyers aside for a moment, why shouldn't it be?

Isn't this nothing more than dancing around the recreational NDL limit? I was a newly wet student once and remember the experience clearly. I kept staring at my DC waiting for it to tell me something. Up until then, I was told to keep away from quarries and other threats to my existence.

So at the beginning of my dive instruction, I found myself 30' deep in one. I could have been ten miles down, I knew I was in waaaaay over my head. OK, I needed something to reassure me.

DC. I kept staring at it while waiting for it to tell me something. Screen covered in numbers. Useless.

So, we all get shepherded past this helpless state. What would I like to see? DEPTH in a font size that I could see without a mask. Below that, a bar graph that is showing me where I am w.r.t my pre-chosen NDL. Nothing more on my 'newbie' setting. More complicated screens are available as I progress.

Remaining gas pressure is best (IMHO) done on a separate gauge. Having to go look gets you to break reverie and start to think.

Now for the reason that this thread exists, YES, I want a recreational DC that will get me out of light deco without complaining...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom