Future Directions: Where Is Diving Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Lisa,

I'm retired, nobody controls what I do. My wife has asthma, we are fearful should she get ill. My quarantine is our choice, a penalty for going diving. Looks like it will be like that for now, considering how badly Florida is doing

Very best and good diving, Craig
The evidence to date seems to show that people with lung diseases are not nearly as likely to do poorly as was predicted. Kidney, heart, and diabetes are the conditions that predict poor outcomes. Not that you should take risks, but if she gets sick the odds are not bad.

In any case much is unknown. Better to not always think the most benign scenarios will be those that become reality.

The evidence to date seems to show that people with lung diseases are not nearly as likely to do poorly as was predicted. Kidney, heart, and diabetes are the conditions that predict poor outcomes. Not that you should take risks, but if she gets sick the odds are not bad.
Thanks for the reply. Even a mild cold or a significant allergen exposure will cause an exacerbation of my wife's asthma. She dives, generally in accord with DAN guidelines, good control, little to no rescue inhaler. I am fearful, not only of the Covid-19 infection, but the ramifications afterward. We are both physicians, my specialty, just happens to be Infectious Diseases.

i spent a week in the keys last month just as they reopened and saw a huge surge of people just wanting to get back outside and enjoy water sports such as boating, fishing, and diving. Once the boat left the dock the masks came off and you could see the smiles. Sure there was some things like people not shaking hands or using each others second stage and the dive shop did tout using certified decon steps (never did find out what exactly that meant).
I have seen the big push for Elearning. Personally I like to have the book as reference because you dont always have the internet.
I also have seen a few youtube videos where divers show a concern about a lack of the younger generation involvement, however since there is a rise in awareness of enviromental concerns that may be used to leverage the youth.
Locally i have seen a decline in dive operations for several years. Dont know the causes of that though.
One thing for sure is that people are going to want to get out and take a vacation once the all clear is given from the virus.
I may be a bit of an optimist about things so i dont really see a new normal coming from all of this. Things will go back to the way they were with a few minor twists.

The optimist in me says that a vaccine, herd immunity and and improved therapeutics will wind COVID-19 down to a trivial level.Will it be 24 or 60 months, I don't know, no one knows.

Lot's of businesses (resorts, stores, operators) that we have enjoyed will be gone and eventually replaced by new operators. That will spoil lots of traditions and relationships.

If we consider the frugality people held onto after the great depression we may find ourselves more sanitation and inter personal exposure conscious for a generation or so. Initially this may cut down on colds and common flue, just as shelter in place did this spring. in the long term immune systems may be under challenged leaving people vulnerable to bad things.

The Sea Hunt / Cousteau / Boomer generation is getting hit hard and may be slow to return to dive travel. That could be have interesting effects on the shape of recovery with a demographic shift. I know that when I look at concert footage from just 12 months ago and see people shoulder to shoulder, chest to back, thoughts of fear and irresponsibility come to mind. It will take some time to unwind the behavior and lifestyle changes that are presently the recipe of sustained good health.What does this mean to air travel, remote / 3rd world destinations, crowded dive boats, back to back room accompanies and crowded restaurants?

This thing will be awhile playing out and probably has a few surprises left before we can see what the finish line looks like.

Pete

In the UK, boats respect social distancing so the number of divers per boat is reduced. Shore diving became a bit more popular as a result.

In our club trips, quite a number were cancelled.

Sometimes, it’s not easy to get accommodation for the ones who need accommodation.

Medical certificates are required for anyone who has had Covid symptoms.

Names are taken and you’ll have to quarantine if someone in the same boat/accommodation is diagnosed with Covid.

I think that may be our new normal until a treatment/vaccine is developed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom