COZUMEL – ALDORA – JUN26 – JUL06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for a nicely detailed, very practical and timely report. Looking at your photos, it looks they got hit with the bubonic plague instead of COVID-19. We do live in interesting times...
They should be so lucky. Bubonic plague is much more easily contained and treated.

Great trip report. But sad to see the town so desolate. Were any restaurants open,or did you simply cook at the Villa ?

We aren't so much on the home cooking idea while in Cozumel.

On occasion, other folks at the Villa have used the BBQ and invited us to join them. Best home cooking for me - they did great. This trip the grill hood stayed down. Pretty quiet - the three of us had the place to ourselves.

The restaurant scene - IMO - seems to be related to the absence of cruise ships and the crash of the local economy.

The closer to the ocean, the fewer spots open. Guidos was an exception on the main drag. They had an OK crowd.

The cruise pier joints - Senior Frogs and the like - shut-up-tight.

The taco places - local places - are hard hit by the lack of $$s in the local's pockets. Hours varied, often only open for lunch.

Called some places - they said open - but closed on arrival.

Examples

La Perlita - we went 3x. Fish outstanding. Max crowd was 3 tables. One night lion fish brought in to be sold to the restaurant and right onto our plates.

Lobster Shack - closed - so was the next door taco joint

La Mission - closed, everything inside gone

Kondessa/Kinta - closed​

A few folks suggested we check a FB Cozumel page - didn't do so, but might work

Any idea why?

Both coming and going the AA-737 broke at the last minute, DFW-CZM. On the way to CZM the baggage had to be unloaded and reloaded. Pilot on the return related the same problem as the reason for the late arrival/departure.

Thank you for a great report.

Great report
Some of the boarded up properties in your photos were boarded up for a long time before the shut down.
The hotel on the square has been closed for years, as well as the old diamond international building.

Congrats on the great trip and safe return, but my heart breaks for my beloved Cozmel...

@Cert1967 I don't understand how you could go in light of the US restrictions on non-essential travel to Mexico? Am really curious to understand.

Thanks.

@Cert1967 I don't understand how you could go in light of the US restrictions on non-essential travel to Mexico? Am really curious to understand.

Thanks.
I'm going in a few weeks...other friends are there now from the USA...Diving is "essential" :)

Practice social distancing and wear your mask...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom