• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some reason, I just found this thread today- probably has something to do with prepping for a dive trip and doing a dive trip. Once again, @scubadada throws out a thought provoking question and poll that elicits 9 pages and counting of responses- I LOVE it.

I haven't voted yet Craig- I will, as I have been spending the last little while reading all of the responses.

Interestingly enough, there is something that had never entered my mind prior to my recent 11 day Florida dive trip and I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. This consideration in choosing a dive computer has become more important to me because it happened to me twice on this trip:

The ability to change important settings while underwater e.g. (like what % of oxygen I am diving with).

While in the Keys, every tank I got had a different percentage mix when analyzed (pretty big fluctuations). There were two times that I got distracted and forgot to make the changes to my primary and backup computers prior to splashing. This has never happened to me before, but it did on these occasions. I am going to blame it on COVID-19 though. Just way too many additional things to be thinking about on the boat (social distancing, mask covering....) - Tongue in cheek, obviously- I own it!

On both occasions, while in descent on the Spiegel Grove, I remembered that I forgot to make the changes. On my primary computer, I was able to click a few buttons and put in the right mix. On my backup, that option was not available to me. Doing multiple dives on multiple days and given the profiles, I was very happy to be able to make those changes while submerged.

I am even happier to have had the presence of mind to remember I forgot to make the change and also was able to remember what the real mix was before getting too deep into the dives.

Not the most important factor in making my choice of recreational dive computer-- but it is an anecdote that pushes us into 10 pages of responses. :)

Hi Greg,

I have made almost all embarrassing errors in my years of diving, including not changing gases. Quite a while ago, I made it a habit to check and/or change my gas every time I switch tanks. This has kept me from missing this change in a long time. I made other changes that have kept me from jumping with my gas off.... haven't done that in a long time either. Developing set habits helps immensely in preventing errors.

Good diving, Craig

what is the single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer?

Readability.

The user must be able to easily see what the current depth and NDL are and also receive essential warnings (depth and ascent speed related).
No confusing things. No small fonts. Not too many features.

My short vision which is currently unbelievable, will be gone after tomorrow.

Sigh. I shall miss it. It's been nice being able to see the tiniest nudibranch and read the small print on pill bottles. I haven't been able to see far though. I'm told that after tomorrow, I will be able to see far. Ergo, screen may become more important to me. However, it is more likely that I will have prescription lenses in my mask.

I voted for the batteries because I don't care about air integration. I almost picked algorithm, but for my diving any algorithm would probably be fine.

I really like my Oceanics but may have to consider turning on conservative. Blah

Hard to pick just one....

1) Reliability
2) Ease of use (interface, buttons, readability)

Most important thing is that the computer is reliable and it can be depended on to provide accurate information for the type of diving you are doing. That said, its pretty hard to find a new computer that doesn't tick the reliable box.

Putting reliability to one side. 'Ease of use' is next in line for me.....you need to be able to read information in less than ideal situations, navigate through any menus without trouble and interface should be intuitive to negotiate.

I think ease of use is important. What defines ease of use is pretty vague, IMO. I really liked my Suunto Gekko up until I started making 4-5 dives a day just short of an hour each in the 60'/ 18m range. It would kick me into deco even with a 90min surface interval. It sucked for night dives, you had to constantly charge the glow in the dark screen. It only counted deco time at the exact stop depth it wanted. It didn't count down for being at 21' or 19' for a 20' stop. After deco cleared it required a 3min safety stop. I just "bent" the computer and really liked it again as a bottom timer. It was great to 200'+/60m+. Or for 4 hour cave dives. Finally broke down 5 years back and got a Shearwater, much easier to use and always readable.

+1 for 'Readability'. I want a computer than I can easily read underwater, in bright light, in low light, at night, etc.

If I were to then identify important, but secondary, factors, I would include 'Gases, 1, 2 3 or more', followed by 'Air integration, yes or no'.

Algorithm. I want the maximum amount of time on the bottom. Readability would be second.
Multiple gasses would make it a technical computer to me but I'd like it.

From the description, the amount of @#$%ing-up involved is such that if it were for real, you'd be long past needing a dive computer anyway.

A friend of mine bought a secondhand Suunto - some technical one, possibly a HelO2 - and on one of the first dives he did with it, it locked him out at about 120 feet with 90 minutes of deco to do. We had a good chortle at it, both underwater and after otherwise uneventfully completing the deco, and he then swiftly sold it on. :)

497b6784dac2e97503f4d7cbd7c513de62c3f88cbbdbf4bf44cc36e0b973217e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom