Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm running cdx5's from oceanic. They have the same port lay-out as the ds4's. It's working for me without issues. I am using a miflex hose on the backup reg, but I might switch to a rubber hose in the future. If I would be running a tight budget I'd be more than happy tot simply buy a second DS4.

I did consider those but I am in Canada so the cost to ship + custom fees are quite high and make it not nearly as affordable as other options. That's why I was consider HOG as they seem the economical choice but was concerned about claims of IP creep.

*Edit*

Also I have apeks second stages. Would it be worth it to match first and second stages for servicing reasonings? Or no real need to do that?

Early on there were some issues with IP creep in the HOG D1's and that was limited to a few regs where the HP seat was the culprit. Like 9 years ago.

I've only seen IP creep in regs that needed service since then. Not on any new ones.
I have been running D3's and servicing them for customers and training divers to service their own since they were introduced. Just trained my 41st tech/student this past weekend.
The D3 is a sweet reg but the D1 is fine also for doubles. I'd throw D1's on doubles and save a few bucks. There were some D1's on Edd Sorenson's gear that had 1000 dives on them and hadn't been serviced in years. I ran a set of D1's before I got into sidemount exclusively for double cylinder use. Both of them, for my own testing- you should not do this, went more than 4 years with around 400 dives and were still locking up fine. I rebuilt them when I sold them to a student who was on a tight budget.
The difference between the D3 and the Deep Six signature is cosmetic and the seat is a different material. There are some internal design differences but the vast majority of recreational and tech divers would not be able to tell them apart if they are set up properly. I can say this with some degree of certainty because I wrote the Deep Six Service manual and a large part of the service class.
Either one will work.
The D1 is a workhorse for doubles and is back in the HOG line.
The US MAP price for the D1 is also $70.00 cheaper than the D3. $194.95 vs $264.95
If you plan to go sidemount at some point, get the D3's. If not the D1 is a better choice IMO.

Similar position to OP. Any thoughts on Zeagle Envoy II's for tech doubles? Cheap, simple, sealed, made in USA, but (unfortunately?) no swivel turret or 5th port.

For me, the lack of a swivel turret and especially the 5th port makes it a no go for doubles. The 5th port really improves hose routing.

I did consider those but I am in Canada so the cost to ship + custom fees are quite high and make it not nearly as affordable as other options. That's why I was consider HOG as they seem the economical choice but was concerned about claims of IP creep.

*Edit*

Also I have apeks second stages. Would it be worth it to match first and second stages for servicing reasonings? Or no real need to do that?

unless you have regular changes between singles and doubles, I wouldn't personally bother with replacing the second stages. I am extremely lazy when it comes to things like that so I have dedicated regulator sets, but if most of your diving is going to be in doubles, then I wouldn't bother.
I hear you on custom fees, but shipping shouldn't be an issue. Not that I condone it, but there are ways to have things mailed or picked up over the border...

From one cold water Canadian diver to another, just grab 2 sets of of Mares 22 Navy II regs, you won't be sorry.
Abyss 22 Navy II

I just finished the intro to tech course and besides a doubles wing I also need a second first stage.

I have a DS4 right now but concerned about the routing. I was considering purchasing one apek DST to put on the left post to improve routing but the price of one of those is north of $600 (in Canada). If I went this route I would also need to upgrade my DS4 to a DIN and would get the 5th port upgrade for the DST adding an extra $150 -$200 (Canadian) or so.
Another option I looked at were the Hog D3 first stage. These are about $350 each so I could get two of these first stages for the price of the DST with upgrade, but I did read there were some concerns of IP creep with Hog first stages. Has this been fixed?
I live in Alberta, Canada and dive cold water almost exclusively. For those diving twins could you provide some advice or other first stage to consider? As I'd rather get my purchase right this time and be happy with it. Thank you.

Hello,

I dive with what could be called, tec configured doubles, double HP steel 80's.

All my regs are Poseidon Jetstream sets. one complete doubles set, and two complete sets for deco/bailout tanks.

Reg sets are new within the last 36 months, great cold water regs, mine have been perfect, without fault or failure.

Breathing is effortless, I'm extremely happy with my choice.

Best of luck with your search.

Rose

unless you have regular changes between singles and doubles, I wouldn't personally bother with replacing the second stages. I am extremely lazy when it comes to things like that so I have dedicated regulator sets, but if most of your diving is going to be in doubles, then I wouldn't bother.
I hear you on custom fees, but shipping shouldn't be an issue. Not that I condone it, but there are ways to have things mailed or picked up over the border...
Yes that's a good idea. I'll look into the cross border package shipping. I forgot about those services, thank you! Probably sell my ds4 to offset some of the cost.

I love my hog regs and have not had an issue with them. The d1s would work for twinsets but the d3s would also work AND still be usable if you ever decide to go sidemount. My d3s never got in the way of my headspace when on a twinset as was mentioned in a previous comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom