Looking for exotic dive destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to go to an exotic location to dive (I'm leaving toward big animals}. I live in Southeast US, open water certified so no deep or cave dives. My wife does not dive so i want something "special" for us to do as well... She's not very adventurous so think sight seeing, shopping, laying on beach. Do you have any recommendations for me?

I remember my first dive trip to Belize (a mix of an offshore island and some time on the mainland) very fondly. It felt less expensive than Mexican cities in the Yucatan, less touristy, U.S. dollars were accepted on a fixed exchange rate of 1:2, and English is the predominant language in use in the Belize City area. The areas I saw were a beautiful mix of rainforest, Mayan ruins, and clean beaches. I did all of my diving on the barrier reef about 30 miles offshore: the coral was in excellent shape and the sponges were some of the best in the world, in both quality and variety.

What do you mean by exotic? Are you talking Caribbean region? Someplace further? Much further? What kind of big animals? What sorts of sightseeing and shopping would she like? What do you mean by "not very adventurous?" Sightseeing and shopping somewhere like Belize is far different than say, Grand Cayman (which I like very much but wouldn't call exotic.)

Curacao is a nice mix of diving and other things to do, and you will feel like you left the US without it being _too_ adventurous. Not a lot for big animals, you will probably luck into the occasional shark/ray/turtle, but really that's true of most of the Caribbean except for some specific spots known for something. Or maybe Grenada?

Hawaii would probably suit your wife great, has tons to do, and might give you more opportunities for bigger stuff. It's sort of exotic and non-adventurous at the same time. Assuming they are letting us mainlanders in when you want to go. Speaking of which, when are you thinking of going?

From what I read, the Indo Pacific has the greatest variety of marine life-- much more so than the Caribbean. Think it has to do with the size of the Pacific/how things evolved, etc. I know that molluscs originated there.
I've heard S. Africa and Australia are good for Great White Sharks.

I'd say Bali would be a good starting point. Culture, shopping, luxury resorts, great food, good diving. Well developed tourist infrastructure so not too adventurous to get around.

Fiji and Philippines would be my choice I've been to both more the once and would go back in a minute. Bonaire or Belize in the Caribbean would only be the two I would go back to but Belize was more remote where we were so no shopping. Hawaii is a great option especially from the west coast. My two cents for what it is worth.

Check out Nakia Eco Resort in Fiji. Have been there several times. You will not find a better dive operator than Taveuni Ocean Sports operated by the daughter of the owner of Nakia. Nakia is a special place. Read the reviews. They are spot on accurate.

This is tough to answer because there are different factors in play.

1.) Your profile indicates under 25 dives, and you mentioned being OW certified. Didn't mention Advanced OW or Nitrox certification. I'm guessing you maybe haven't traveled far outside the U.S. much before?

If all this is true, I think the Galapagos and Socorros are probably out for now. Not sure how keen you'd be on far distant locations like Bali and Fiji, mentioned by others and outside my experience.

2.) Exotic locales in the Caribbean and Bahamas region (other than Tiger Beach, which I suspect you're not ready for) may not be your best best for 'big stuff.' You might be much better served in that respect closer to home, hitting North Carolina for the sand tiger sharks and/or Jupiter, FL for Goliath grouper and some reef sharks (at the right time of year maybe lemon sharks, or later in your diving when you're ready for it, if you don't have philosophical objections, maybe shark feed diving where the shark menu goes way up).

1.) North Carolina - Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html
2.) Jupiter, FL - Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
3.) Shark Feed Diving out of Jupiter, FL - Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

Now, if a few green and hawksbill sea turtles, some tarpon, Caribbean reef and nurse sharks, a big green moray eel, maybe an adult barracuda, and a black or Nassau grouper or similar fit the bill for your 'big stuff' list, then those 'exotic' options open up a good deal. The Cayman Islands, Belize, Turks & Caicos, and don't forget Key Largo.

In fact, while it may not seem so exotic, Key Largo offers a nice mix of deep wreck diving (where you may see a Goliath grouper) and shallow reef diving over a hard bottom.
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

And when you're ready for cold water ocean diving, the sea lions, harbor seals, bat rays and giant sea bass out of California are fun. Truth Aquatics Vision Trip Aug. 2016 - Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

With all the uncertainty about getting into countries and quarantining, etc..., my suggestion is get nitrox and preferably AOW certified (for deep wreck diving), hit Key Largo, do 2-tank morning dive trips, then hit the road with your wife and do local excursions, or maybe a longer drive to the mainland for Zoo Miami, Jungle Island (Miami area) or other activities. Ever been on an Everglades airboat? If you don't have philosophical objections (the marine mammal exploitation thing), dolphin excursions can be sweet.

Richard.

I agree with Key Largo. Had one of our best dives ever seeing our first hammerhead shark plus eagle rays. It would be an easier trip to plan without flights, etc...at this time. We also went out of the marine protected area with a dive operator in the afternoons and did some lobstering the first part of August. That was fun.

This is tough to answer because there are different factors in play.

1.) Your profile indicates under 25 dives, and you mentioned being OW certified. Didn't mention Advanced OW or Nitrox certification. I'm guessing you maybe haven't traveled far outside the U.S. much before?

If all this is true, I think the Galapagos and Socorros are probably out for now. Not sure how keen you'd be on far distant locations like Bali and Fiji, mentioned by others and outside my experience.

2.) Exotic locales in the Caribbean and Bahamas region (other than Tiger Beach, which I suspect you're not ready for) may not be your best best for 'big stuff.' You might be much better served in that respect closer to home, hitting North Carolina for the sand tiger sharks and/or Jupiter, FL for Goliath grouper and some reef sharks (at the right time of year maybe lemon sharks, or later in your diving when you're ready for it, if you don't have philosophical objections, maybe shark feed diving where the shark menu goes way up).

1.) North Carolina - Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html
2.) Jupiter, FL - Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
3.) Shark Feed Diving out of Jupiter, FL - Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

Now, if a few green and hawksbill sea turtles, some tarpon, Caribbean reef and nurse sharks, a big green moray eel, maybe an adult barracuda, and a black or Nassau grouper or similar fit the bill for your 'big stuff' list, then those 'exotic' options open up a good deal. The Cayman Islands, Belize, Turks & Caicos, and don't forget Key Largo.

In fact, while it may not seem so exotic, Key Largo offers a nice mix of deep wreck diving (where you may see a Goliath grouper) and shallow reef diving over a hard bottom.
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

And when you're ready for cold water ocean diving, the sea lions, harbor seals, bat rays and giant sea bass out of California are fun. Truth Aquatics Vision Trip Aug. 2016 - Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

With all the uncertainty about getting into countries and quarantining, etc..., my suggestion is get nitrox and preferably AOW certified (for deep wreck diving), hit Key Largo, do 2-tank morning dive trips, then hit the road with your wife and do local excursions, or maybe a longer drive to the mainland for Zoo Miami, Jungle Island (Miami area) or other activities. Ever been on an Everglades airboat? If you don't have philosophical objections (the marine mammal exploitation thing), dolphin excursions can be sweet.

Richard.

Wow!, Thank you for such a detailed and enlightening post! After looking online the other day, the sea lions really got my attention. After reading responses I've gotten Belize and Fiji are coming up strong. Everyone is putting out really great info... Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom