Never Really Used My Gear- Should it be Serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the advice regarding regs & BCD. It is best to take the reg to the shop for a once over. I suppose you could do a very shallow dive and try it out-- see that it breathes easy. I'm not recommending that, and then diving to 100' without having it checked out-- but since my dives are usually 30' or less that's what I would do.

I used my pony bottle reg only a couple of times years ago, then not for a few years. It needed work (can't recall the problem). Then I used it as a spare when my reg hose broke-- again, for maybe 2-3 dives (that was 2015). Then 3-4 weeks ago I got air and used it to check the PSIs in my tanks-- no problem. Did that again last week and the pony reg leaked a lot out of the holes in the first stage (these are holes that are supposed to be there). So, something can easily happen to a reg if it sits years at a time unused.

BCD-- check it for leaks in a tub of water. I had a leak in my old thing years ago and had no idea-- until the buddy I was with saw bubbles coming from the back of it, where I'd never notice. The leak must've been tiny as I noticed no difference in my air consumption and probably had dived with it that way for quite a while.

Bring it in for evaluation, and recommended service (if warranted). Reg rebuild isn't necessarily required, but some simple tests can be done to see if it needs more work.

Now, some shops will automatically gouge you with a full service suggestion....

Because gear used tends to get serviced regularly? Any other explanations?

yes. dry rot. rubber that is not used and exercised will degrade. we see this with hydraulic systems all the time, hydraulic hoses will become brittle and crack when not used for long periods of time; whereas the same hoses when used (flexed, have liquids run through them) will last much longer. there are other things that will cause degradation; UV light, extreme temps etc etc, but being stale is a factor as well.

yes. dry rot. rubber that is not used and exercised will degrade. we see this with hydraulic systems all the time, hydraulic hoses will become brittle and crack when not used for long periods of time; whereas the same hoses when used (flexed, have liquids run through them) will last much longer.

Depends on the rubber and storage conditions. IME 50% of rubber belts in various kinds of drives go brittle and crack, the other 50% turn into sticky smeary black goo.

the other 50% turn into sticky smeary black goo.

which reminds me of the latex neck seal of my drysuit when I left it unused for six months and forgot to apply copious amounts of talcum powder :D

I'd suggest keeping up with the yearly servicing no matter how frequently or infrequently you use the gear. In the case of Aqua Lung gear make sure you've registered it on their website to keep up with the free parts for life program.

I'd suggest keeping up with the yearly servicing no matter how frequently or infrequently you use the gear. In the case of Aqua Lung gear make sure you've registered it on their website to keep up with the free parts for life program.
Are you talking about anything in addition to regulators? BCs maybe?
I used to get my reg. serviced yearly until several experienced pros said bi-yearly is fine if there are no problems (possible sand in reg, etc.), it's breathing fine and an average amount of yearly dives (whatever that is).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom