LDS Disparaging Other Shops and Brands of Scuba Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lewis Hoffman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently in the process of buying equipment and have visited the half dozen dive shops around Oklahoma City and I am amazed at how some dive shops trash other dive shops. I have had people tell me things like:

1. Those guys drink and dive.
2. That guy is a criminal and ripped someone off.
3. I would never use Mares, it is no better than some of the internet only brands.

I have made a career in professional sales and one of the things I have always been taught is to never talk bad about your competition.

To be fair, half the dive shops were guilty of this but the others were more kind and said even if they didn't mean it things like....oh those guys are great or something similar.

Just an observation that ended up bugging me as I was shopping.

What has been interesting to me through the years is seeing / hearing that this behavior seems to be partly a reflection of local culture. For example, I grew up in an area with 6 dive shops, and the relationships among 4 of them were very positive. They were 'competitors', but they were positive about each other, and about brands of gear other than those that they carried. One shop was really not a serious 'player' in the market. The other shop had an unfortunate, and not altogether unwarranted, reputation among local dive professionals for some rather shoddy training practices. But, even in that case, the other four shops, publicly at least, adopted the 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' approach.

In contrast, later in my career, I worked in an area where the shops seemed to have nothing good to say about each other. I am not sure how the negativity starts in a specific area, but it does appear, to me at least, that the situation is not universal.

I agree with you - it does more harm to the negative speaker than to the one being spoken about.

I am currently in the process of buying equipment and have visited the half dozen dive shops around Oklahoma City and I am amazed at how some dive shops trash other dive shops. I have had people tell me things like:

3. I would never use Mares, it is no better than some of the internet only brands.

I have made a career in professional sales and one of the things I have always been taught is to never talk bad about your competition.

To be fair, half the dive shops were guilty of this but the others were more kind and said even if they didn't mean it things like....oh those guys are great or something similar.

It has been my observation that each shop has it’s own personality, usually driven by the thoughts and actions of owners, staff and customers. The LDS that I use tends to stay away from politics and religion and focus on diving, which is why I go there. You are fortunate to have that many shops to choose from and I am sure you will find divers with opinions that you trust to make your way through the confusion. Good luck and be safe.

I've noticed that in any market where the competition is tough - landscaping, housing etc.....

You'll even see it here for some things like BP/W.

This is a great sport to be involved in, and at so many different levels. I'm happy with the ways I dive but I always look around at others looking for cool new things and better ideas - get good at online research and reading between the lines here.

Hello Lewis Hoffman,

I'm sure with the pandemic, they are all fighting for survival.

If you were to have a look at their monthly tally sheets, I'm sure you will find that those that are berating others the loudest, are the worst off financially.

You sound to me to be well grounded and have a good idea of what it is you're looking for.

I'm new here, and everyone who I've communicated with to this point has been wonderful. there are hundreds of years of experience here on Scuba Board, willing to offer lots of help and guidance, and it's all here for the asking.

Personally, my primary products are DUI, OMS and Poseidon, my steel tanks are Faber, my aluminium tanks are Metal Impact. I like to think that I have the best of the best, but this equipment is so personal.

I strongly suggest the try before you buy method, either through shops that will allow you to do that, or through your friends and associates.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Rose

I still recall a shop, from my hometown, whose competitors -- and, even some of its customers, nicknamed the place "Death Diving," after some fatal accidents, involving students, years back; and a member of the staff, once inquired whether I was ever going to update my "hopelessly-antiquated equipment," mimicking a famous David Bowie line, from The Man Who Fell To Earth . . .

Scubapro neverdry seems to be a classic where I'm from. Many People tend to rag on Santi's Quality here as well. But I feel like if you're diving in salt and letting your unwashed drysuit dry up in the sun after dives, you're kinda asking for it..

The only regulator that seems to be universally disliked here is the mk25. Réné can say all he wants about it being superior to an mk17, but they have a general reputation of freezing up where I'm from. If that's up to user error is entirely different matter.

Otherwise I think shops might throw in a sly remark here and there about another shop, but nothing major here.

On account of trying to replace antiques, i get it constantly as well, because ItI dive balanced adjustables. ( I do run em with modern firsts: xstream MK3 or apeks dst depending on how i'm diving).

But I don't take it personally since the regs are as old as some divestore owners. They are still a store, so yeah.. i get it. My buying kits of Brian once a year doesn't make them any money.

I have literally stood up in the middle of some negative Nancy's spiel and walked out the door without a word.

Even with only 3 LDS there are better options.

I like shops that explain to me why they are the best (in a friendly manner) and why the gear they sell is good, rather than tell me what’s wrong with everyone else.
The more someone trashes the other guy is time spent that they are not telling you about themselves.
Bashing does no good and is a waste of time. It Bring down the enthusiasm and mood of the buyer.
You dive shops that do this pay attention! Very bad business model!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom