Diving after bypass surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving for 60 years. I just had triple bypass heart surgery. How long before I should start diving again? Are there any long-term restrictions I should abide by?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I have been diving for 60 years. I just had triple bypass heart surgery. How long before I should start diving again? Are there any long-term restrictions I should abide by?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

Hi @richhagelin ,

Like the article linked by @Imla mentions, a lot depends on what your cardiac function looks like after you've completely recovered. Once you are cleared for full activity by your surgeon, I'd recommend that you be seen by a physician trained and experienced in evaluating divers for fitness. If you PM me your location I'll see who I can find near you.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @richhagelin ,

Like the article linked by @Imla mentions, a lot depends on what your cardiac function looks like after you've completely recovered. Once you are cleared for full activity by your surgeon, I'd recommend that you be seen by a physician trained and experienced in evaluating divers for fitness. If you PM me your location I'll see who I can find near you.

Best regards,
DDM

DDM, you send a PM to me last fall with a contact in Spokane who could do an evaluation of my fitness to return to diving. I can’t find that now. Could you repost the information for me please?

rich Hagelin

@richhagelin sent you an email and left a voice message.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @richhagelin ,

Best regards,
DDM
Hi,
The article link is no longer valid and I can't find anything similar on DAN's website. Do you have a copy or know of a similar article as I have a student diver who has had a triple bypass 3 years ago and is looking for information, as well as a medical of course.
Many thanks in advance.
Greg (Dive Instructor)

Hi,
The article link is no longer valid and I can't find anything similar on DAN's website. Do you have a copy or know of a similar article as I have a student diver who has had a triple bypass 3 years ago and is looking for information, as well as a medical of course.
Many thanks in advance.
Greg (Dive Instructor)

Hi Greg, try this one. There's a section on CABG that contains general guidelines:

Cardiovascular Fitness and Diving - Divers Alert Network

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin
I had a double bypass 6 months ago and feel absolutely fine. No cardiac issues of any kind, and my cardiologist tells me that there was no tissue damage at all. I ran to the emergency room at the first pangs of chest pain, so i was fortunate in not having an actual heart attack. I can walk for miles without any problem and work out with weights every day, so I'm really not worried about diving. I'll be doing some shallow scuba as soon as local water temps rise to reasonable levels.

I had a double bypass 6 months ago and feel absolutely fine. No cardiac issues of any kind, and my cardiologist tells me that there was no tissue damage at all. I ran to the emergency room at the first pangs of chest pain, so i was fortunate in not having an actual heart attack. I can walk for miles without any problem and work out with weights every day, so I'm really not worried about diving. I'll be doing some shallow scuba as soon as local water temps rise to reasonable levels.

Sounds like the best possible outcome! What studies did they do afterward? Cardiac ultrasound, ECG, stress test?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom