Twin Cylinder Wing Move to Donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My issue with the horse shoe was whwen I uses a DS with a 300 gram undergarment. i had nearly 40# of weight on a belt. the regular wing would not work so I got a DSS wind that was mostly lift at teh lower torso and waist. it worked great but when i took off the DS and went to a WS or a DS with a 10 gram undy i was major light b4ecause I only needed 19# oflead on a belt adn i then had too much lift with teh DSS howshoe wing. I had to buy another for non DS use. and ds with lighter undies.

Try the wing in a pool before you buy it. Its the only way you know for sure. donut wings adn single tanks are easy to buy but wings that have shaped lifts are another thing.

Get (2) :)
Cheers.

Got to the store today, picked the last one up for $250, claimed misquoted me price, regardless still a good deal for a Apex WTX6R. If I do not like it, I am sure I can get my $250 back from Ebay.

My issue with the horse shoe was whwen I uses a DS with a 300 gram undergarment. i had nearly 40# of weight on a belt. the regular wing would not work so I got a DSS wind that was mostly lift at teh lower torso and waist. it worked great but when i took off the DS and went to a WS or a DS with a 10 gram undy i was major light b4ecause I only needed 19# oflead on a belt adn i then had too much lift with teh DSS howshoe wing. I had to buy another for non DS use. and ds with lighter undies.

Try the wing in a pool before you buy it. Its the only way you know for sure. donut wings adn single tanks are easy to buy but wings that have shaped lifts are another thing.

I am still new moving into the technical world, so I am curious about your weighting. I dove the St Lawrence about a month ago is a full 7mm suit, gloves, head, on a single HP100, 8lbs weight and I was heavy. Does a Dry Suit really use that much more weight? Odds of my diving DS, is slim, I like my Florida and Caribbean Bath water. :) But is my daughter moves up there, well I will visit and dive.

@Micheal - In a DS, air is your insulation (holds the loft of your undergarments), so yes, it is a huge difference from diving wet.

Got to the store today, picked the last one up for $250, claimed misquoted me price, regardless still a good deal for a Apex WTX6R. If I do not like it, I am sure I can get my $250 back from Ebay.

I am still new moving into the technical world, so I am curious about your weighting. I dove the St Lawrence about a month ago is a full 7mm suit, gloves, head, on a single HP100, 8lbs weight and I was heavy. Does a Dry Suit really use that much more weight? Odds of my diving DS, is slim, I like my Florida and Caribbean Bath water. :) But is my daughter moves up there, well I will visit and dive.

Some one can surely help here I have a polor stretch 300 undergarment. it is about 3/8" thick I guess. the dry suit is a shell suit meaning it is like a garbage bag that the water compresses to form. it is a DUI TLS350. you put just enough air in it to stop the squeeze from hurting you. that amount of air alone would e as much as 1/2 a wing worth of air. when using the 300 gram undies i needed 38# of lead and with a 100 gram pair of what looks like a pair of sweats it is reduced to 19# of lead needed. Thinner garment less air cavity in the suit. to ballance that out many use a weight belt or a weight system of some sorts. I used a belt and to counter that with a full single lp95 tank the wing bladder was relatively small at the shoulders and progressed to be much larger at the hips. that provided lift at the point that the weights were located. now go to a 100 g undies and you now have a lot of lift where a lot of wieght is no longer there,,, and you become grossly feet light,,,,, not a pleasant thing to happen when you vent it is just under your chin mid chest and air is at your legs above you.

This may not be much of a problem when you do not use a shell suit like the tls350 and you use a crushed neo suit instead. definately will not be as much an issue with a wet suit. I have a farmer john 3mm and it uses the same amount of lead as the DS with the 100g undies. Now one thing about DS and diving doubles is that the DS is the backup for a ruptured wing bladder. I made the newby mistake of diving a wet suit with doubles and got a blown wing. It was a concerning 400 ft. crawl out of a cave. Had I been in a DS it would not have been near the issue. Getting out was one thing next was the matter of getting to the surface with all that tank and air weight. 2 tanks lp85's and kit with well above 3k in them was well over 20-25 of neg buoyancy and no wing to counter that. Hind sight proved that I could have inflated my wet suit by putting the reg in my neck and put air in the wet suit to get lift. It took the buddies 60# wing and both of us kicking as hard as we could to get to bottom contour shelf at the surface and grab the stairs. That incident reinforced the thing of,,,,,,, dive doubles dive dry. I ignored that when I used a wet suit when I should have known better.

Awesome, Glad you bought it.
I live in Brunswick, Georgia. Don't you dare put that on Ebay. :letsparty:
Cheers.

Odds of my diving DS, is slim, I like my Florida and Caribbean Bath water. :) .

In N fla there is a lot of cave diving. It is known as cave country. Spring water is about 70 year around. dsuits are used for backukp buoyancy and a means of warm dry diving. time exposure takes toll. Air4 consumption is a big thing. when using a dry suit you no longer have suit squeeze / compression as you would a wet suit resulting in using more air in the wing to account for buoyancy changes from neo suit compression.

In N fla there is a lot of cave diving. It is known as cave country. Spring water is about 70 year around. dsuits are used for backukp buoyancy and a means of warm dry diving. time exposure takes toll. Air4 consumption is a big thing. when using a dry suit you no longer have suit squeeze / compression as you would a wet suit resulting in using more air in the wing to account for buoyancy changes from neo suit compression.

Not a Fan of Cave Country, I interviewed a lot of cave country instructors/shops for my Technical Courses and Cavern Course. I did not like any of them. I did take my intro to Tech with 1, course was a joke 4 hours and 36 minutes of total bottom time. Since I have no friends or family that want to dive, no reason to learn.

Not a Fan of Cave Country, I interviewed a lot of cave country instructors/shops for my Technical Courses and Cavern Course. I did not like any of them. I did take my intro to Tech with 1, course was a joke 4 hours and 36 minutes of total bottom time. Since I have no friends or family that want to dive, no reason to learn.
the comment was not to get people to get into cave diving or any type of diving , More than in NFla it is cave country and the water temp is 70 +- and ds's are used to counter the long exposure to the 70F where with out a DS your core temps drop too much. because you use a DS the weighting changes ans so does the wing design and lift attributes.

for whats it is worth I don't share the same experience as you with Cave country. they have always served me well as far as anything I go to them for. I have no clue what you mean by NO REASON TO LEARN, and honestly the comment surprises me coming form an instructor. Perhaps its just a difference in agency positions on issues,, I dont know. As far as the 4 hour course goes. could it be that the instructor felt you did not need the time devoted to learn skills you probably already had. Its not unusual to have an instructor (as you should know) observe you in the water and know just what the remaining of the training time needs to focus on. One would argue that you had the skills for the cert when you signed up but not the card. then a little professional courtesy and it was all done with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom