Today at Disney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did this with my kids many "MANY" years ago.
Expensive but worth it.
Would not do again but am glad I did once.
No regrets!

VTS_01_1.VOB_snapshot_00.00_[2018.11.26_10.49.32].jpg

VTS_01_1.VOB_snapshot_00.00_[2018.11.26_10.53.02].jpg

Yellow fins is me, yellow arms on the wetsuit is my daughter.

For those who haven't been, I wanted to update with details of our trip:

First, you don't need a park ticket, as you meet just outside the park gates. Facing the gates, it's the building to the right which used to be an old camera/film store.

Once everyone is there, you are taken in, gear is put away, you are given a locker, and you get a general backstage tour. It's not very in depth as the main focus is of course diving, but it was cool. They give you an estimated time for your family and friends to meet inside the Seas to watch you from the main viewing platform. Once you text your family, phones need to be put away.

We had a chance to see backstage where the manatees are fed, and also had a chance to see where the dolphins come in for feeding/health checks. They talked in general about facts for the Seas, as well as talked about conservation and protection of the oceans and wildlife. We had a chance to wander the various back hallways to get into the various places and classroom, so you get a small sense of what is going on behind the scenes.

They are very specific about the fact that you will be part of the show, so of course they expect good behavior. It's Disney after all. Not only will your family and friends be watching, but the entire Coral Reef restaurant has large windows where they can see you. You also have a chance to walk from behind the scenes onto the main aquarium floor, and then back as you cross through to various areas. It's an interesting way to get a better sense of what/where the various areas are.

As part of that, one you are done with the main tour, you get changed, meet up, and they bring you back up into the main aquarium area, and you walk down through the central hallway of the viewing area. (They know how to get visitors interested in what is going to happen.) You'll have a quick chance to say hi to family, then you go up the central pillar which hides a spiral staircase that takes you on top of the viewing area. Up there is a large circular room which you are in the middle of, and in each direction is a quadrant of the aquarium itself.

Once there, you get to wade down into the knee deep water of the loading/unloading area, get into gear, and when ready you can hit the water. You get a short tour of the aquarium once everyone is down, and then have 30 to 40 minutes of time to just wander and play. You are not allowed to touch the fish of course, but they have no problem coming up very close so you don't need to worry. There is finally a point where the divemaster will signal everyone over to the glass of the viewing area, and the videographer will make several passes to get you and your friends/peeps on camera together. You can also go over to the glass anytime you want.

For us, having the sharks and some of the huge rays come by was amazing. Things I haven't had a chance to see in the wild (I'm still new). Getting to see family while underwater, and for them to really get a chance to see what we do was really cool. Instead of being bored, they loved seeing us, the fish, and our reactions.

Once done you had time to go shower, get dressed, and then meet back in the classroom to watch the video they put together. It was available for everyone to purchase, and you had a choice of a hat or shirt as part of the visit.

I had two friends who were both sort of 'eh, let's do it' and ended up loving it. We had a great time overall, so would definitely suggest it to anyone who is thinking about it or on the fence.

Once everyone is there, you are taken in, gear is put away, you are given a locker, and you get a general backstage tour.
I assume from the timing of your post that is indoors recently? What protections were there, if any?

No this was pre-covid, last year.
Ah, thank you. I had a very similar experience to yours, it was a ton of fun and I would even do it again. But not in the current situation.

Do they limit your dive, or can you finish your tank?

It sounds like they limit you... :( If I could get my whole 90min dive in and not have to take pics I’d be psyched for it. But if I only got 40min and had to take pics during part of that time, it seems expensive and not worth it. But that’s coming from someone who dives every weekend.

Do they limit your dive, or can you finish your tank?

It sounds like they limit you... :( If I could get my whole 90min dive in and not have to take pics I’d be psyched for it. But if I only got 40min and had to take pics during part of that time, it seems expensive and not worth it. But that’s coming from someone who dives every weekend.
It's Disney, all events end when they say they end. I happened to be close to the surface when they made the call to end the dive, so I think I only got 36 minutes.

You don't get to dive your tank, it's a specified dive time. They're keeping a schedule and everyone is getting in/out about the same time. We got a little extra time, maybe we were ahead of schedule or something. But that was on the order of something like 45 instead of 40.

You can bring your own mask, no other gear, no cameras. They take your sizes and by the time you get to the locker room everything is waiting for you in a locker.

Can you bring your dive computer and your own fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom